The state of sheffield clubbing

discodown

sheffield is far from thriving. Shhh is doing good stuff (i'll be DJing there soon!) but its only one venue and it isn't attracting big names, it won't ever have a major influence on the scene and as soon as the niche lot discover it it will go down the toilet.

I think relying on 'big names' to make a local scene is not the only way to go.

I prefer in some ways [others may not] a club with a regular dj who knows the crowd and plays to them without being boring. So he has to work at keeping his sets fresh and exciting whilst keeping things 'the same'.

Visiting Djs can [not saying they do] play the same set every night if travelling the country, so less pressure in some ways to try harder. By avoiding the different dj every week, you may get punters coming more regularly and build a vibe that way. Whereas with the differnt DJ every week, it's more like a concert and more variable and the crowd varies more too and feels less intimate.

But others like it with the different dj all the time. I found I stopped going to some nights as the Djing was so variable in nature, one week sheer brilliance the next tedious. Also the big names had to start somewhere and a good resident dj can be better for a night than variable quality visiting DJs.

As for Sssh not having influence, Gatecrasher was a small club night once. So who knows?

I think relying on 'big names' to make a local scene is not the only way to go.

I prefer in some ways [others may not] a club with a regular dj who knows the crowd and plays to them without being boring. So he has to work at keeping his sets fresh and exciting whilst keeping things 'the same'.

Visiting Djs can [not saying they do] play the same set every night if travelling the country, so less pressure in some ways to try harder. By avoiding the different dj every week, you may get punters coming more regularly and build a vibe that way. Whereas with the differnt DJ every week, it's more like a concert and more variable and the crowd varies more too and feels less intimate.

But others like it with the different dj all the time. I found I stopped going to some nights as the Djing was so variable in nature, one week sheer brilliance the next tedious. Also the big names had to start somewhere and a good resident dj can be better for a night than variable quality visiting DJs.

As for Sssh not having influence, Gatecrasher was a small club night once. So who knows?

I would say the perfect mix is 3 nights residents, then once a month a guest.

There hasn't really been a top regular clubnight in Sheffield for a while (in my opinion).

There's the occasional one-off event I like, but nothing has sustained my interest over a period of months except perhaps C90.

This weekend there is a brilliant line-up for the Warp Records (a label that started in Sheffield) party. LFO, Plaid and Chris Clark. I'm there.

Where is it? Leeds.

There hasn't really been a top regular clubnight in Sheffield for a while (in my opinion).

There's the occasional one-off event I like, but nothing has sustained my interest over a period of months except perhaps C90.

This weekend there is a brilliant line-up for the Warp Records (a label that started in Sheffield) party. LFO, Plaid and Chris Clark. I'm there.

Where is it? Leeds.

To my knowledge, Quality @ Brown St was the last one - 2001 -2003

no. 5 / top 10 clubs in Europe - Face Magazine

first club in UK to showcase - Sean Paul

Hosted the 1xtra launch party

Fun Loving Criminals after party

S club 7 after party

Surely the sign of a true quality club night!

Are you trying to tell me you would turn down Rachel from having a party at your club. Are you mad. Obviously you was not about then because you would of known or were you still djing in your bedroom.

You can check the Face magazine if you so desire, no.5.

I notice you did not mention Fun Loving Criminals and Huey doing a 30 minute dj session for free. Oh Ms Dynamite mcing on her night off, the list goes on.

This was the only underground R&B, Hip Hop, Funky house night in town of its kind. But I guess you would not know much about this genre because you only know the commercial side of it.

By the way think before you answer, the mighty Studio 54 NY hosted parties for very commercial recording artists.

Are you trying to tell me you would turn down Rachel from having a party at your club. Are you mad. Obviously you was not about then because you would of known or were you still djing in your bedroom.

You can check the Face magazine if you so desire, no.5.

I notice you did not mention Fun Loving Criminals and Huey doing a 30 minute dj session for free. Oh Ms Dynamite mcing on her night off, the list goes on.

This was the only underground R&B, Hip Hop, Funky house night in town of its kind. But I guess you would not know much about this genre because you only know the commercial side of it.

Lol, i think he's being serious i've seen some s club 7 in his DJ box before ;)

Archived