The state of sheffield clubbing

discodown

To my knowledge, Quality @ Brown St was the last one - 2001 -2003

no. 5 / top 10 clubs in Europe - Face Magazine

first club in UK to showcase - Sean Paul

Hosted the 1xtra launch party

Fun Loving Criminals after party

S club 7 after party

Fun Loving Criminals, Sean Paul and S Club 7 are hardly names I would describe as synonymous with quality......

.......AND NOW TO DRAG US BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POINT

Prior to the LICENSING changes many nightclubs precieved that their competition was the pubs. So, they tried to compete on drinks prices. I've seen 'Girls drink free', 80 all drinks, 50p shots. They are now on an even playing field for hours and they will get their cumuppance, do they seriously think they can compete with DJ Wetherspoons?

It gets worse - the Frog and Parrot, and many others, are now taking the fight to the clubs. Can they compete with clubs? I think they can.

So let the battle commence. The clubs must put on quality events for clubbers, they never shuda left what they were set up to do!

.......AND NOW TO DRAG US BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POINT

Prior to the LICENSING changes many nightclubs precieved that their competition was the pubs. So, they tried to compete on drinks prices. I've seen 'Girls drink free', 80 all drinks, 50p shots. They are now on an even playing field for hours and they will get their cumuppance, do they seriously think they can compete with DJ Wetherspoons?

It gets worse - the Frog and Parrot, and many others, are now taking the fight to the clubs. Can they compete with clubs? I think they can.

So let the battle commence. The clubs must put on quality events for clubbers, they never shuda left what they were set up to do!

Haven't I read this before?

Anyways, I think you're right about the competition thing, clubs were often just there as a vehicle for those who wanted to drink past 11pm and had to make little effort. Now the licensing has put them on an even keel with other venues so it's a matter of who uses it best. DQ and others are embracing it to the point where people go there instead.

'Proper' clubs though, ie those where people want to go for the music (for want of a better phrase), are struggling now like they often have anyway - how many times had Remedy, Scuba etc al had amazing acts and nobody there to see them? It's even happened at Plug recently. That's the Sheffield Apathy thing I mentioned in my post above and it's not got owt to do with licenses, management, venues or whatever else people want to blame. I don't know how to crack the secret but it's very frustrating!

blimey a lot of angst on here isn't there?!

dj4321 - calm down a little! for the record quality was a good night. brown street is still sorely missed by a lot of people.

BRINGITON - not like you to get involved in slanging matches. Can i dj for you please?!

the rest of you, squabbling won't help we need solutions not confusion!

I think the issue is that your two posts up there, again, come across as very much a 'holier than thou' rant. "I say so, so it must be right", seems to be the message. I mean, what with 'obviously still DJing in your bedroom' crap? Very presumptious, but it ain't the first time. Then you have a go at HIM for dissing! Ha ha ha :D

Oh and taking The Face as gospel; come on mate. It's all a matter of opinion and there's is no more correct than anyone elses.

I'd best get me records out, looks like that battle's back on! :thumbsup:;)

And for the record, I wouldn't have any celebrities anywhere near my venue (should I own one, obviously) and I certainly don't think it's a measure of success OR credibility.

The Face was gospel - Seven by 7 in the top five nights in the country, November 2001, can't argue with that :hihi:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived