The state of sheffield clubbing

discodown

discodown - you should be aware that only last Saturday (30 Sep) Leeds City Council established a designated zone for flyering activities - which includes the whole of their city centre, extending down a wide corridor of Otley Road, ending at Shaw Lane junction. The cost is £75 per distrbutor, subject to conditions.

Leeds City Council have taken this action because "(flyers) has caused significant littering problems in parts of the city".

(Source: Leeds City Council website).

good for leeds, i'm pleased they have reduced the initial price of £175 to something which is much more realistic.

As for your other recommendation, Manchester......

"The times they're a changing and promoting your club, bar, venue or event in new and dynamic ways is the name of the game. Gone are the days of splattering posters all over bus stops and pasting flyer's all over the city streets. Manchester council is intent on cleansing the city of street promotion and guerrilla marketing and they're using ASBO's and a draconian policy of laying the blame directly on the venues toes to restrict street level promotion. The future for marketing events lies in electronic mailing lists and E-Flyer's.

That's where we come in. Over several years we've built our database of loyal party-hard members upto its current level of over 15,000 and it's growing daily! If you want to tap into Manchester's AfterDark audience, and help promote your product then Manchester AD's members list is likely to be exactly what you've been looking for. You can reach them through us: all it takes is a click of a button and you can wire your promotion directly to 15,000 + serious clubbers’ inboxes in Manchester. No waste, no danger of being fined, no chance of being let down by unreliable distribution. This is the future. And it works.

What is an E-flyer. Simply, an E-Flyer is an HTML email with pictures, text and animations promoting your night. You can make it interactive, tie it in with a competition, and track the results. And the total cost is a mere £60!

- Your e-flyer to the inboxes of over 12,500 people

- Your choice of pictures, text and animations

- Your choice of date/time for sending

- Drive traffic to your website

- Include an email address for guestlist/information

requests"

(Source: http://www.manchesterad.com/html/promoters/eflyer.php)

none of that has anything to do with manchester. its merely promotional waffle from someone who has a database and wants people to pay him for the privilage. it has nothing to do with any of my points all of which you've dodged to hide behind this.

I await with interest news from you of how Leeds and Manchester City Councils are promoting their club scenes. However, maybe you'd also like to comment on why Sheffield should not establish flyering zones in the city centre, when your oft quoted example of Leeds has already done so, and Manchester even resort to ASBOs!?
i said earlier sheffield should have flyering zones free designated places, why can't it happen?

why have you dodged all my other points?

The difference in all those circumstances is that the person being given the item have asked for it and want it and expect to dispose of it when finished with it.

Unlike flyer's.

I can see the Councils point here, and I can see the promoters point too. However, there is definitely a litter issue with flyer's so perhaps its time for both groups to sit down and work something out that helps both parties?

Would it be ok to have an optional flyering system for example if i stood in the street with a sign and a load of flyers and only gave them to people that came up to me and asked for them would that be acceptable. I wouldn't be handiung out flyers people would be asking me for them. No litter would be produced as only people that wanted them would get them?

Or would i be prosecuted for doing so

discodown - you should be aware that only last Saturday (30 Sep) Leeds City Council established a designated zone for flyering activities - which includes the whole of their city centre, extending down a wide corridor of Otley Road, ending at Shaw Lane junction. The cost is £75 per distributor, subject to conditions.

Leeds City Council have taken this action because "(flyers) has caused significant littering problems in parts of the city".

(Source: Leeds City Council website).

good for leeds, i'm pleased they have reduced the initial price of £175 to something which is much more realistic.

It's good to see your change of heart discodown, and the pleasure you've expressed at what Leeds City Council has done in establishing a designated zone for flyering. You'll be equally pleased to know that Sheffield City Council has today voted to implement a designated flyering zone in Sheffield - and at the same cost as Leeds.

Now, can you please stop dodging questions and answer this simple question I have already posed twice to you......

You keep referring to the club scene in Leeds, and now Manchester. Could you give the readers of this thread examples of how those two councils have approached this matter. I look forward to reading your information.

You keep referring to what Leeds City Council does to promote their clubbing scene. Is this your much vaunted idea of renovating derelict buildings or providing new venues? If so, please name some venues and locations. I'm still eagerly awaiting to hear from you - despite this being my third request for information from you. Some concrete evidence of your claims about Leeds City Council's approach to their club scene really would be helpful. You are able to back up your claims aren't you?

Before flyers existed clubs used to open and people used to go to them.

maybe someone should investigate those old fashioned techniques.

Flyering DID exist back then but very small and controlled distribution and usually to groups or persons who requested to receive them. If we are refering to the "old days" of the 1960's for example, most clubs relied purely on local newspaper advertising, in the days when EVERYONE read the local paper. You will find any edition of the Sheffield Star or Telegraph full of flyer style adverts, promoting this that and the other.

I have to say on the littering subject I completely agree with DiscoDown. I grew up going to the Republic, Bed, Zero, etc then moved away to various cities. Since ive come back a few months ago it seems alot harder to hear about the new smaller nights. Find myself getting frustrated and ending up in Plug/Leadmill etc.

Flyers for me personally are a massive way of finding out about new nights, and is it just me or am I the only person that keeps a decent, funky and original flyer?

And maybe im being exceptionally naive when I say this but when was the last time a flyerer intentionally littered? And if the answer is what Im thinking Redrobbo, surely its an issue with littering in general and not just flyering. Hence DD's completely justified comments about fining take aways.

It amounts to the same thing..

Another point...

As an independent promoter I pay for all my flyers out of my own pocket. I also do some of the flyering myself. When I see someone drop a flyer I generally pick it up and re-use it (as it is my own money I'm wasting!). Larger clubs will generally employ kids / students to do all their flyering for them, so they're not bothered if they see someone drop a flyer, and the cost of a few dropped flyers to Gatecrasher for example isn't really an issue.

The ironic thing is that it will be the large club like Gatecrasher that can afford the flyering licenses, whereas the smaller promoters who are more likely to pick up their littered flyers, will not be able to afford the license.

The ironic thing is that it will be the large club like Gatecrasher that can afford the flyering licenses, whereas the smaller promoters who are more likely to pick up their littered flyers, will not be able to afford the license.

Totally spot on.

It's usually flyers from big nights/clubs that end up on the floor, simply because they make so many they just end up everywhere.

I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly made an effort to pick up Dirty Cheese flyers after we'd been out flyering.

Totally spot on.

It's usually flyers from big nights/clubs that end up on the floor, simply because they make so many they just end up everywhere.

I think a lot of promo stuff smaller nights do - people tend to turn a blind eye to as its quite small scale - but then when the big clubs do it and swamp the place (like lamp post boards a few years ago), the Council has to be seen to be "doing something" and in true play ground style they spoil it for everyone...

Archived