They Shoot Horses Don't They

Neither am I for the same reason; although I did know a Jewish betting man who owned greyhounds and bought kennels and a couple of fields to keep them in their retirement. He also hired a full--time kennel-maid and paid her well, so not all greyhound owners are the kind of people who, if their parents ever married, I wouldn’t buy them a wedding gift.

When they hurt their legs at a race then they always seem to shoot them and everyone says "you have to shoot them if they break a leg". Why is it that nobody ever questions this? Do they really mean that the horse will die in agony unless it is shot or that it won't make any more money for them, or is it something in between?

Basically, a proportion of retired racehorses are shot.

This is actually seen as the most humane way of 'disposing' of a horse.

In the world of racing (as well as eventing and other horse sports) this can be because of injury - the horse will not have any quality of life if it is kept alive; or because the owner can't/won't pay for very expensive treatment. This sort of treamtment is usually only carried out if the horse can be used for breeding if they can no longer compete.

Some race horses are retrained for other sports, and there are some retirement homes that others go to, but of course this is expensive also. The nature of thoroughbred racehorses often makes them unsuitable for general riding.

I read an article about this int he Observer at the weekend. One point that I feel was important is that it is not so much the abbatoirs at fault here, for doing their job, but the industry who produce so many foals a year, striving to find the next big thing. But many never make the grade, but because of their breeding are weak and vulnerable in other ways, and so are unsuitable for other 'work'.

As far as I know, and I have a reasonable amopunt of experience, other horse sports such as eventing and show jumping do not have this problem. But then the money at stake is less.

The pressure should not be on hte abbatoirs but on the multi millionaires that run horseracing to change their ways.

Archived