They Shoot Horses Don't They

As a follow up to the story about Greyhounds being shot through the head and buried in fields here is another fun story about what happens to horses who fail to make the grade, or are too old for the Sport of Kings

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1884945,00.html

Turned into meat, no different then to cows, lambs, sheep, chickens. Not that shocking at all really.

Turned into meat, no different then to cows, lambs, sheep, chickens. Not that shocking at all really.

Not really that shocking when you think about it, but quite different to the make believe tales some people spout about all old horses living out their days in a field like Black Beauty.

So what would you do with them?

The horses that is!

They should be put out to pasture for at least some of their remaining life - if man has made money out of them and had fun out of them, there should be a bit of a payback in return.

I'm a great fan of both horse and dog racing but this subject still upsets me. I can remember one night been at the dogs when a dog named tristar Dean (I wil always remember that) got really badly bumped and must have shot 6 foot in the air and landed in a truly awful way, and was litrally dragging itself around the track trying to get back up. This actually made me cry, and there was one man going off on one, because they stopped the race which voided it. He was screwing because his dog was in the lead and all that crap. Then came out with 'it'll have a bullet in it's brain in 5 minutes anyway' well to say I had a go at him was an understatement!

Well 3 months later, the dog returned to racing, and this brought a smile to my face because that dog could have easily been put down, but the owner obviously spent alot of money bringing the poor lad back to health. So that did restore my faith in the greyhound owners. I'm not saying that all greyhound owners would do this; but some do.

I'm a great fan of both horse and dog racing but this subject still upsets me. I can remember one night been at the dogs when a dog named tristar Dean (I wil always remember that) got really badly bumped and must have shot 6 foot in the air and landed in a truly awful way, and was litrally dragging itself around the track trying to get back up. This actually made me cry, and there was one man going off on one, because they stopped the race which voided it. He was screwing because his dog was in the lead and all that crap. Then came out with 'it'll have a bullet in it's brain in 5 minutes anyway' well to say I had a go at him was an understatement!

Well 3 months later, the dog returned to racing, and this brought a smile to my face because that dog could have easily been put down, but the owner obviously spent alot of money bringing the poor lad back to health. So that did restore my faith in the greyhound owners. I'm not saying that all greyhound owners would do this; but some do.

Nice to read that Dani - a bit of care goes a long way.

They should be put out to pasture for at least some of their remaining life - if man has made money out of them and had fun out of them, there should be a bit of a payback in return.

And what about those which will never be able to walk again, or will live in constant pain for the rest of their lives? I agree that putting them down should be a last resort, and should never be done for purely financial reasons, but sometimes it's is in the best interests of the animal to reduce it's suffering.

Archived