WW2 authentic look and packed lunch advice please..

fox20thc

For winter ... short grey flannel trousers, braces, a shirt and a v neck sleeveless jumper possibly fair isle knit pattern, gabardine coat, scarf and balaclava, knee socks and heavy shoes, or wellingtons! For summer, an airtex short sleeved shirt and a pair of khaki cotton shorts, plimsolls without socks. A brown cardboard box on a string worn across the body, containing a gas mask. Side parting in very short hair!

ps I don't remember any of this of course, but I've seen it in books :D

DS#2 is to go to Kelham Island to have a fun filled day reliving the life and times of children during WW2.

The criteria includes him wearing authentic looking clothing and taking a packed lunch which would have been available back then.

Suggestions please :D

Having been one of those second world war youngsters, may I suggest that sandwiches should only have margarine on one slice of bread. The wartime rations were not sufficient to run to both sides being buttered.

Cakes and the like tended to be home-made, and rice crispies covered with a ‘chocolate’ made from the cocoa tin was a favourite.

Children always carried their gas-masks, either in the original box with a shoulder “string”, or in a tin box specially made for gas-masks. Anyone who bought the set of videos of titled “Band of Brothers” will have bought them — as I did — contained in a tin marked ‘Gas Mask’. You might be lucky and find a few.

Re the packed lunch.

Flour was unrefined, then it retained a type of bran and was supposed to be more healthy.

So make sure that you use brown bread for the sandwiches.

The brown cardboard box containiing the gas mask was roughly 10" long by 6' wide and 7'' high.

Hope you enjoy your day out. Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Archived