Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

Some people have commented on the hospitals as being sub par in the 50s/60s. I was unlucky to have been in a couple of the hospitals mentioned: Northern General and Lodge Moor. I don't recall my experiences as being particularly bad, except for the illnesses I had, which were not the hospitals' fault. I remember at the NG you were offered either a Guiness or a milk stout (Mackison?)with your Sunday dinner. Not too shabby.

Back in those days, you were allowed to smoke in the wards as long as you got out of bed to do it. One day I sneaked a smoke while in bed and fell asleep. The bed started to smolder and I was pretty soon turfed out of bed.

I was born in 1955 at the NG (ok more or less..I think) ..and then in 1959 they saved my life when I was rushed in with peritonitus, so I'm not complaining about Sheffiled hospitals in the 1950's. In the early sixties they also got my dad through pneumonia.. I guess we were the lucky ones..

I was born in 1955 at the NG (ok more or less..I think) ..and then in 1959 they saved my life when I was rushed in with peritonitus, so I'm not complaining about Sheffiled hospitals in the 1950's. In the early sixties they also got my dad through pneumonia.. I guess we were the lucky ones..

Frankie Rage, I'll add to that list the fact that Lodge Moor Hospital helped my dad get over polio, which he contracted just after the second world war. I remember as a toddler being taken to visit him. I think LM was the hospital which specialized in infectious diseases.

can anyone remember what that horrible tasting malt stuff was called, my mum made me have a spoonful everyday, I think it came from the welfare clinic.

And plastic sandals oh the shame if you had to wear them.

Kids today are not brought up with the same values because they would be bullied by other kids if they were, although we were posh we had egg sandwiches not jam

I think the malt stuff was called Virol, don't remember having it myself but I know my little sister had to suffer it

Malt and Cod Liver Oil rings a bell. The Virol you could buy at the chemist and I believe was "posher", but the other stuff was the welfare one. As I typed the name, I could hear my mothers voice in my head saying it....:)

Bread and dripping - delicious. I remember embarassing my mum when we were at a wedding reception. I had refused all the lovely food on the table saying I wanted bread and dripping. And I got it! My mun later said people would think that was all she fed us on.

• 2 weeks later...
Puzzler, I am so pleased that someone else remembers fiveboys chocolate. When I put this question on a thread a while ago no-one knew what it was. Do you rememember what the titles under the boys faces were? I can only rememeber desperation and realisation.

I also remember Fry's "Five Boys" chocolate bars. Apparently the brand dates from 1902 (see http://www.sterlingtimes.org/sweets.htm) but I remember it from the 1950s and this webpage has an illustration of the Five Boys wrapper that I remember - see: http://d69.com/abe/002803.jpg

It is actually the cover design for a book entitled "Five boys" which is apparently all about 5 boys, rather than the history of a much-loved chocolate bar!! If the first link above is correct, then the price of 3d on the book-cover wrapper is incorrect, as apparently the price was 6d from 1902 to 1971. Certainly, I remember that in the 1950s/60s the bar cost 6d, the same as a small Cadbury's "Dairy Milk" bar.