Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

They're taken at the Castle Museum in York aren't they - went last year - the fireplace and range in Pic 2 is identical to the one in the house my gran lived in from the '30's through to the '80's (I was born at her house in the 50's).

She used to boil the kettle over the fire, bake bread in the big oven and my grandad used to keep sticks for lighting the fire in the little one above it.

Thanks for the pics Longcol really enjoyed seeing them and noting all the details. Geez I remember that old type of wash machine and you were well off to own one. We had two tubs one to was wash clothes one to rinse, then get bathed in the in rinse water. Phew note the long bath was a luxury too

Vera.

The photos are great Viking but far too 'modern' for the house I lived in as a child- on Morgan Rd. We had a black metal fireplace which had to be black-leaded, the washing machine was Mum on the tub and me on the mangle, Dad did all the cobbling (shoe repairs). We did have a bath though and occasionally hot water to fill it. Happy days???

You were posh Vera, two tubs, we had to rinse in the sink- do you remember the dolly posh? I think that was the name, I've mentioned it before a three legged stool thingymajig.

Maybe, but I don't remember any kids dying of lead poisoning from the paint, or too much fat from the dripping, or taking an overdose cos there were no child proof lids. I'm sure that maybe one or two did, but none that I knew.

Just of a matter of interest, does anyone know of any child that died of these things?

Probably the sound of your teeth rattling with the cold !!! Sitting outside the Magnet Pub at Southey, waiting for our dad to bring us a packet of crisps out. Now the flippin kids sit and dine with their parents.Pub lunches.How lucky are they ? Dont know there born.!

Or Southey Club waiting for dad to bring out bags of crisps and bottles of orange/lemonade.

I remember waiting outside the pub and our dad bringing us a packet, that contained a pickled onion, a triangular cheese spread, and two ritz crackers. can anyone else remember them? :)

Yes we used to buy them in the pub in the 60s and 70s,called Billian if i remember rightly,went down well with a pint or two.:thumbsup:

Reading the thread made me smile, I remember freeweeling down the steepest road i could find on my chopper, no helmet and wearing coats by their hoods. Building rope swings across rivers and finding 'hideouts' in the woods here we built little camp fires and told eachother scary stories.

can anyone remember buying half a yard of knicker elastic for french skipping in the early 70's?

there was no 'designer' trainers or 'designer' clothes and everybody was just as skint as your parents, but didnt we have a magical childhood!

Wow yeah remember buying the elastic and putting it round the chair legs in the kitchen, spent hours doing that! Those were the days, no cheeky kids causing bother 'cos you knew you'd get a good slap - something they could do with now to keep them in check.