Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

My gran (born 1886) used to refer to kaili. The last i pronounced as eye.

Some sort of sugary sherbet dip.

Endorse that via my late gran of similar vintage. The stem of liquorice was a narrow tube through which you sucked up the kaili. I recall the product, bought at corner shops near schools, was made by Barrett's, and was in a yellow wrapped cylinder, rather like a firework,

We were taught how to think for ourselves and to make decisions, sometimes we made the wrong ones and learned from our mistakes. Some forum posts really amuse me :-

Where can I get shoes repaired? - At a bloody cobblers for gods sake.

How do I repair my bike? - Turn is upside down and figure it out.

Where do I find a good butcher? - Look for the word Butcher on the shop sign and if there's a queue you have probably found one.

I don't like Tesco on Abbeydale Road - Well don't go there then.

Where do I catch a bus to Totley from town? - At the bus stop with the Totley timetable on it, failing that phone the bus operator.

It amazes me that some folk actually survive a day away from the safety of their own homes, but they are the all knowing modern generation who will take over the running of this modern world, god help us :sad:

We were taught how to think for ourselves and to make decisions, sometimes we made the wrong ones and learned from our mistakes. Some forum posts really amuse me :-

Where can I get shoes repaired? - At a bloody cobblers for gods sake.

How do I repair my bike? - Turn is upside down and figure it out.

Where do I find a good butcher? - Look for the word Butcher on the shop sign and if there's a queue you have probably found one.

I don't like Tesco on Abbeydale Road - Well don't go there then.

Where do I catch a bus to Totley from town? - At the bus stop with the Totley timetable on it, failing that phone the bus operator.

It amazes me that some folk actually survive a day away from the safety of their own homes, but they are the all knowing modern generation who will take over the running of this modern world, god help us :sad:

Well said mate - funnily enough the missus and I were talking about this self same thing this morning. - the daughters boyfriend is just 20 and while he is a lovely lad etc. he just simply does'nt have a clue about life - I am not sure how he gets through the day - and I dont think its his parents - I have met them a couple of times and they dont seem to have shirked any responsibilites as parents - I think it is just the nanny state and culture invoked over the pat thirty years of being run by Health and Safety executives

Endorse that via my late gran of similar vintage. The stem of liquorice was a narrow tube through which you sucked up the kaili. I recall the product, bought at corner shops near schools, was made by Barrett's, and was in a yellow wrapped cylinder, rather like a firework,

It was made by Bassetts of liquorice allsort's fame.

Cynthia, Canada.

Yes, I think, Docmel has pointed out the root of the problem in modern Britain.i.e. The Nanny State.

More and more people are frightened to say what they think or feel, they are frightened to do anything or try anything outside very narrow boundaries and feel bound hand and foot by advice, recommendations, rules, regulations, guidelines, laws......etc.....spewing forth from Westminster and Europe.

They are watched, filmed, recorded, computerised, checked on, measured and generally nagged and it's not that surprising that we get outbreaks of road rage, more violence, more alcohol abuse and more drug-taking.

If you over-control people they will behave, very often, in bizarre, even self-destructive ways. The problem is that a lot of those affected love being told what to do and love telling others what to do-------well, until it's too late.

Anyone born in the '40's,50's or even '60's with a good memory will know what an incredible loss of freedom and dignity we have lost.

I wasn't in the U.K.[ thank God ! ] when Princess Diane was sadly killed and I've just been watching the film , ' The Queen ', with its news- reel excerpts. It's a sober reminder that even by 1997 a vast number of people in Britain were a load of sentimental, slobbering, immature, rather brainless slobs. No wonder things have got worse since then ! Look at the ' material 'available !

Just read Fareast's post and something came to mind. Cast your minds back to news broadcasts of the 1960's and 70's and you would very rarely hear these two words 'The Government'. These days this is all we do here as this current load of liars, cheats and incompitents would have us believe that they have their fingers on the button in respect of every facet of daily life.

Don't bother thinking as they will do it for you, if you have made a poor decision in the past they will have a government sponsored agency to hug you and seek compensation from anyone who helped you to do what you wanted to do at the time. And as for syncronised mass grief I didn't cry at one of my best mates funeral (I did it in private) so why should I even consider bawling like a baby at Princess Diana's?

Yes we have ended up with a soft generation that can be easily led into anything that the system leads them into, too much thinking and decision making would never do would it?

Can you imagine the response if the Australians announced the £10 assisted passage like they did back in the early 60's? - not a snowball in hell's chance of it ever happening again but my God - the queues around Oz house!!

...and before anyone accuses me of anti-patroism - that just simply aint true - I just sadly believe that we have gone too far and all the problems we have in the UK now are irretrevable - I am going to try and persuade both my daughters and their families to get out of here - I know other countries also have their own problems - but I have loads of friends who had emigrated to various parts of the world - and with the exception of a certain part of Asia, not one would even give a second thought to coming back here.

Sorry if we have hijacked the thread - I am not sure if this is what the original poster had in mind.

...as for syncronised mass grief I didn't cry at one of my best mates funeral (I did it in private) so why should I even consider bawling like a baby at Princess Diana's?

This is not a modern day phenomenon. Go into the past and look at the grief caused when film stars and royalty died. Remember when Evita Peron died in her country? I think the mass grief thing can be discounted whether you're into that sort of thing or not. I only cry if my football team loses. :)

This is not a modern day phenomenon. Go into the past and look at the grief caused when film stars and royalty died. Remember when Evita Peron died in her country? I think the mass grief thing can be discounted whether you're into that sort of thing or not. I only cry if my football team loses. :)

Yes but they are Latin and always have aired their emotions in public, we are British and didn't used to. If you supported my team SWFC you would have drowned in your own tears long ago. :hihi:

It was made by Bassetts of liquorice allsort's fame.

Cynthia, Canada.

"ruk.ca comments: WigWag Bar from the Tuck ShopI got nostalgic when I was at the freak lunchbox in Halifax, I bought a Barrets Sherbet stick, (licorice in a cylindrical cardboard tube with fizzy white ... "

There must have been two varieties then because according to GOOGLE, someone in Halifax got the version I referred to!