Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

Just found the forum. Just read through the thread. So much to agree with. I am achild of the 50s. My saturday threepence (the one with 12 sides) from my grandma was spend on a pennorth of tiger nuts, a five boys choc bar and some friut salads or a sherbet dib dab. Sometimes had a lucky bag or just went for the penny tray. Also spent a lot of time outside playing games, climbing trees, walls, falling off, doing it again so that I proved I could. Sliding down a huge snowdrift up against a high wall in the winter. Walking the 3+ miles to school because the bus was stuck up in the village. Making the longest slide in the ice on the school playground. I also remember that we had to go outside at break & lunch time all the time - whatever the weather. Lots of people got to like cricket because one of the masters had a small tv set when the international or yorkshire matches were shown. You could stay in if you kept quiet and watched the cricket.

Taking the pop bottles back to the pop shop, and being alllowed to spend some of the money on the way back.

Taking the dining table out into the garden in summer so we could eat outside when it was a hot summers day. (Drop leaf oak - sadly no longer with me) - polishing the legs of said table on a saturday.

Using dining chairs to play at buses, or when fine using the door bell and the front steps. Long summer holidays when we could play out all day long - and never get bored. Better stop now or the readers will get bored!!

Bored puzzler ? I would say not...thanks for the memories, we all love to read them.:)

My brother wqas stood in the bowl in the sink being washed for bed by my Father as it would be the warmest place. There was a scream from Bro about 4yrs.. as he put his finger up the bulbless light holder above his head. Father jumped too. Another time Grandfather was looking after BRO.who was playing with a electrical set that boys use to get for xmas, when he plugged the thing with a bulb socket on two prongs into the mains, they melted, Bro had another electric shock and Grandad nearly had a heart attack. Funnily enough, Bro. became a electrician when he grew up.We also had feather beds and hot plates from the yorkshire range in the bed to warm us, how I hated the hard metal banging on my ankle bones as I tried to keep my feet warm. We spent many hours alone wandering woods and fields. We had a soldier allotted to us during the war, my father had to show him how to clean and put together his rifle, and I, although very young, remember the sargent coming to the shelter during a raid looking for the said Cyril and my father saying he had already left to go to where the had to met, Darnal Congs, then dash into the house to get him out of bed. My Dad said he ran hell for leather down Prince of wales road with his braces dangling behind him. sorry about the rambling, this thread has brought back memories I had forgotten. Good times.

Growing up inthe 50s we didn't have electricity. Dad had to reach up and light the gas mantle when it got dark. I still remember hearing the hissing sound it made. We'd wait for him to light the lamp and then chase the silver fish. Better than any video game. We only used the front (best) room when we had visitors or at Christmas. It had a carpet (well a rug really) and a fancy sideboard that had a mirror in it. How's that for posh? Mum did the washing in a gas boiler, ironed with a gas iron and Dad used to go to the local gasworks to fetch steaming buckets of hot water to fill the tin bath tub with (we didn't have hot water) and we'd bathe in front of the fire. I wore a libberty bodice - remember them? It was hard trying to do up the rubber buttons and my mam always had to do it for me. Us kids were sent out after the coal wagon had passed on it's delivery round, to pick up any bits of coal that had fallen off. Dad grew our own veggies. Family outtings would be to the local flea pit. My hero was Mario Lanza. And the best thing about dad going for a pint was waiting to see if he'd bring us back a bag of crips - Smiths with a little blue bag of salt. We didn't get a telly until I was 14. We'd sit around the fire and actually talk or we'd read.

I live in Perth now and I don't like a lot of what goes on today. The way it's all going (dog eat dog) I wonder how we'll cope when we get older and frail. But let's look on the bright side - we might not live that long... And in the meantime I am grateful for the fabulous life I have now. I think you do appreciate today's luxurys when you started out with nowt.

• 4 weeks later...

Totally agree - we must have been a tough lot to survive. I was born 1945 and remember post war rationing and a fairly boring diet. I went to Rowlinson school - a tough environment with strict rules but we learned how to behave and have some respect for authority. However we did have freedom to enjoy being children, I feel sorry for today's youngsters confined to the garden because of busy roads and parents' fears.

And the teachers gave us the cane. They clipped our ears and our parents did the same! We didnt even have carpets in bedrooms or an inside toilet. A hot water bottle was all that kept us warm. A bottle of fizzy pop was a treat at weekend with sinday dinner. We never had crisps and the like in the house. They were another trat. Football every night and weekend in firth park. Mathces with lads from other areas, brilliant. Made our own bike track at the allotments wher earl marshal is now. Built dens and roasted spuds, bloody hell they were good times!!!

I remember football matches in Firth Park lasted all day. Lads would drift off occasionally for their dinners and come back and carry on and play till dusk. The scores were something in the region of 39 -36. Happy Days!

I remember sunday dinner left overs, would also feed us for the next couple of days. Meat, butter, and eggs would all be kept in the pantry, and not in a fridge, I can't remember it ever going off. I also loved tinned Fussells milk spread on bread yummy. :)

I still have fussells sandwiches, scrumptious nosh. What about the lard sandwiches with salt.Great had them many a time for packing up at work.