Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

! was born in 1932 so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to contribute to the 40's 50's group.. I remember in 1939 we had been to Blackpool, when we arrived home , dumped in the front garden was a heap of corrugated iron, angle iron & a sack full of nuts & bolts.Me & Dad, with a bit of help from the neighbours dug a big hole in the garden to put the Anderson shelter in, all the street helped each other. I had a young brother, born in 1939, I was instructed how to operate the hand pump on his gas mask, it was domed shape & was secured around his waist. In the early war years school was closed , we went in small batches to peoples homes for our lessons.

It seems to me ,if I remember correctly, that we were issued our gas masks before the war actually started-perhaps early 1939. Does anybody remember? I got a regular adult one but my brother, who was 3 years old got a Donald Duck one.We went to a school on Sharrow Lane to be fitted but we had to learn how to make rude noises in them, on our own.

not me i am afraid. wish i had found this site before.

I remember covering my school books with paper too. We use wallpaper as well as brown paper.

hi, I'm new to the forum, & I think this is a great site. I remember covering my school books with paper as well.

It seems to me ,if I remember correctly, that we were issued our gas masks before the war actually started-perhaps early 1939. Does anybody remember? I got a regular adult one but my brother, who was 3 years old got a Donald Duck one.We went to a school on Sharrow Lane to be fitted but we had to learn how to make rude noises in them, on our own.

It says in the autobiography "The House On South Road,"by Joyce Storey, that in Bristol the first consignment of gas masks were delivered a week after Neville Chamberlain announced this country was *at war with Germany.*

People were panicking because there were not enough for everybody, and they thought the Germans were going to use poison gas. A few weeks later they all got them.

She also says there was a *brisk trade done with identity bracelets and necklaces,and we bought special ones for loved ones and friends*

I don"t recall these items.Does anyone remember what they were like?

Joyce was born in 1917 and tells an interesting account of life from when she was a child.

During her schooldays she used to play a game called *Pottle.*

Anyone know what it is?

It says in the autobiography "The House On South Road,"by Joyce Storey, that in Bristol the first consignment of gas masks were delivered a week after Neville Chamberlain announced this country was *at war with Germany.*

People were panicking because there were not enough for everybody, and they thought the Germans were going to use poison gas. A few weeks later they all got them.

She also says there was a *brisk trade done with identity bracelets and necklaces,and we bought special ones for loved ones and friends*

I don"t recall these items.Does anyone remember what they were like?

Joyce was born in 1917 and tells an interesting account of life from when she was a child.

During her schooldays she used to play a game called *Pottle.*

Anyone know what it is?

I need to find a book about the Sheffield Blitzes. The one I have," Raiders over Sheffield ", is too technical and full of statistics - can anyone recommend a book about ordinary people's experiences of that time ? My memory is becoming totally unreliable.

I need to find a book about the Sheffield Blitzes. The one I have," Raiders over Sheffield ", is too technical and full of statistics - can anyone recommend a book about ordinary people's experiences of that time ? My memory is becoming totally unreliable.

I have a book titled 'Then & Now' The Sheffield Blitz Operation Crucible by Alistair Lofthouse. There's lots of photos & people's memories. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I bought it from the newsagents or W. H.Smith will sell them.

Here are a list of books that may be of interest to you.

1.A Popular History of Sheffield...............J.Edward Vickers

2.A Pub on Every Corner.........................Douglas Lamb

3.A Wander up The "cliffe (Attercliffe) ....Michael Liversidge

4.History and Guide of Sheffield..............David Fine

5.Images of England-Central Sheffield.....Martin Olive

6.Images of Sheffield (1993 edition)........Star Newspapers

7.Made in Sheffield,The Story of James Dixon...Pauline Bell

8.Memories of the Workhouse and Old Hospital at Firvale....................................................Lyn Howsam

9.Portrait of Sheffield...............................E.Bunker

10.Sheffield Blitz.....................................Paul License

11.Sheffield Pals;12th (Service) Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment.................................Ralph Gibson

12.Street Names of Sheffield....................Peter Harvey

13.The Sheffield Gang Wars......................J.P.Bean

14.The Sheffield Hanged...1750-1864.......David Bentley

15.Weerz Me Dad?

Childhood stories of 1940s & 50s...........Fred Pass

Thanks for all the leads - I will start searching at once. The problem is that I can remember incidents clearly ( such as getting my gas mask ) but am not sure of the time frame.Or, what is worse, remembering things friends or relatives told me and not knowing at what point in the War they occurred.

Liquorice Root - it looked like a 4 inch piece of rope and you just chewed it. I could only ever get it from the drinks shop near Abbeydale Cinema. Thinking on it was awful.

ooh. no, liquorice root was ace to gnaw on! I don't actually know where my parents got ours from, but me and my sister loved having it as a treat. :lol: