Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

I was born in Sheffield in 1956 and proud of it!!I grew up in lodge moor and most of my time was spent on the crags,climbing and falling!!building dams across streams and general tomfoolery!!in the summer I would be up and out the bedroom window returning before my mum even got up!!god knows what time it must have been but it was daylight that was enough for me!!and we were out in the winter too,remember those wonderful snowdrifts?I used to love being out when the snow was falling fast,that eerie silence as it swirled around,whenever I visit home now I take a trip along the crags and each visit has seen less and less kids playing there!!I despair for future generations,I really do think todays kids not only have the modern toys instead of wellies and a johnny 7 machine gun(remember them?) but they have parents who expect them to behave like adults!!!!kids are kids dont make them grow up too soon cos its not all its cracked up to be!!teach them to respect others and themselves and they wont go far wrong,thats my opinion anyroad!!!!!

I remember sunday dinner left overs, would also feed us for the next couple of days. Meat, butter, and eggs would all be kept in the pantry, and not in a fridge, I can't remember it ever going off. I also loved tinned Fussells milk spread on bread yummy. :)

When I was a child my Father bred chickens and rabbits on our back garden for the table, the chickens provided us with fresh eggs and when my Mother fetched them down to the house the safest place to put them was in our very large victorian glass sugar basin, they were stood on their ends and they were always had bits of chicken s--t on them but we never ailed anything. Children always seem to be ill now a days.

Reading the thread made me smile, I remember freeweeling down the steepest road i could find on my chopper, no helmet and wearing coats by their hoods. Building rope swings across rivers and finding 'hideouts' in the woods here we built little camp fires and told eachother scary stories.

can anyone remember buying half a yard of knicker elastic for french skipping in the early 70's?

there was no 'designer' trainers or 'designer' clothes and everybody was just as skint as your parents, but didnt we have a magical childhood!

________

Montana Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Edited by pinklady

Come to think of it, I used to love roller skating down a steep cobbled road, teeth used to chatter, but it was fun, playing with whip and tops, we used to get milk bottle tops to put on the tops, then we used to take the leather strap out of the whip and replace it with a shoelace, faces as long as fiddles if we hadn't got an old lace and finding pieces of slate for hopscotch was no problem, there were shards all over the place, maybe it was left overs of the bombing of WW2.

Reading the thread made me smile, I remember freeweeling down the steepest road i could find on my chopper, no helmet and wearing coats by their hoods. Building rope swings across rivers and finding 'hideouts' in the woods here we built little camp fires and told eachother scary stories.

can anyone remember buying half a yard of knicker elastic for french skipping in the early 70's?

there was no 'designer' trainers or 'designer' clothes and everybody was just as skint as your parents, but didnt we have a magical childhood!

This captures it in a nutshell!!you never ever now see kids running hell for leather nowhere in particular with a duffel coat on with just its hood,pockets full of yorkshire mixture all fluffy cos bag't split!!pumps with elastic tops skinned knees and little white patches on fingers where mum had put compound w on your warts!!! I were never trendy and still not!!!!:hihi:

And when we fell out of those trees, ripping half out kneecap off, or split our heads open 'nutting' that sign that was badly sited as we ran past, we didn't go home for treatment. That would have meant staying in for the rest of the day. We carried on playing (after washing it in a stream or puddle) - after we'd stopped crying - and only remembered the incident when we eventually got home and our mums said, "What the bloody hell you been up to? You look like you've been in a war!"

Still, bandaged up, we'd be at school the next day and back out climbing those trees again at tea time.

Every kid had a plaster on his knee. It was compulsory - you were a cissy if you hadn't got one.

How the hell did we survive playing in asbestos dumps, and chucking mercury around in chemistry?:confused:

White dog turds flew further than brown ones. And they didn't effect the taste of your sandwiches, which you ate soon after, either.

Why did 'scrumped' apples taste better after they'd been washed in that little pond by the side of the road....the one with the frogspawn in.

And that dead mouse in the shoe box under your bed - which you forgot about, and wasn't dead when you caught it, how come it never survived all those cuddles you used to give it shortly before you settled down to sleep .... sucking your thumb?

We should be dead by now really. The HSE says so. :rolleyes:

I laughed out loud reading this thread!

I remember doing so many of these things, including

playing in the bomb sites and derelict buildings.

We made our own amusements, out of scraps of card, paper

and old material. Dolls' House? Cardboard box - make one.

Furniture to go in it? Matchboxes - make it.

Doll's clothes? Here's some wool / material - make them.

I certainly think we were much more self-reliant and inventive

in those days, compared to the children of today.

All you can do with modern 'toys' is sit and watch them,

because they (the toys) leave nothing for the child to do.

The one thing that we had as kids, and subsequently still have to this day, is an imagination. If I went out for the day to visit a ruined castle, I would look at a pile of stones where a tower once stood and try to imagine what it originally looked like, drinking in the atmosphere of the place. When I returned home I would avidly read as much as I could about its history and description, trying to marry the things I had seen with the information I had read. Today`s kids would have to have an interactive screen to explain everything to them in one quick glance or boredom would set in. I believe the imagination is one of the greatest gifts the human being has, its a pity that people seldom use it anymore.

Not only did we have to walk to school in knee deep snow Hazel, some of us had to do it wearing only a pair of plimsolls, or running slippers as they were called then :) Ooh, I love this thread, them were the days :)