Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

Liquorice Root - it looked like a 4 inch piece of rope and you just chewed it. I could only ever get it from the drinks shop near Abbeydale Cinema. Thinking on it was awful.

Two hours later, you could "spit" through the eye of a needle!!!

Slop dosh! LOL.Not heard that for donkeys years! Can you imagine kids today amusing themselves with a puddle of rainwater and a bit of soil,making mud pies with wooden lollipop sticks? We did! :)

What about Kiss Catch? I wonder if kids play that today.:hihi:

Rainwater? We used to tiddle in it!!!

yes and the memories keep coming ,what about the whips and tops and borrowing your mum stocking to put a ball in the end by the time you gave it back it was full of ladders when your idea of luxury is a threpenny bag of chips wrapped in newspapers and you shared them with your friends .but it was all good and the memories are all good ones

The chips were even better when you got a scoop full of 'scraps' for free. For the uninitiated, scraps were the bits of crispy batter that used to float on top of the fat when the fish had been fried.

The chips were even better when you got a scoop full of 'scraps' for free. For the uninitiated, scraps were the bits of crispy batter that used to float on top of the fat when the fish had been fried.

since I left sheffield I really do miss the fishcakes and the scallops we used to get no one can make them as good as the ones we got from lants chippy with scraps of course

Who remembers the co-op?

I've still got this vivid impression of the co-op. If you can imagine this raggy-arsed, snotty nosed little kid who always had to do the shopping for his mam, stood in front of the co-op door. Before I went in, I always checked that my hands and especially my shoes were clean. Then I went inside. Everything was so shiny. Oak and glass counters, the brass scales, and the bacon slicing machine. I was fascinated by that. Tea and sugar were all sold loose, as was butter that was patted into shape with (what I thought) two funny table tennis bats. It was so clean. It smelt so clean. The store manager and his assistants with their white overalls and aprons.

In those days, the customer was king, and was respected. Even a snotty nosed little kid! And nowadays?? Keep this thread going and tell of your experiences,

We used to go to the co-op with a book which had a list of what we had to get, handed it over to the assistant, paid for last weeks shopping and they would let you have what was on the list. then give the divi number so our mum could get the divi. Suppose its the same as getting the card swiped nowadays when we go to the co-op. Can many of you remember your mums divi number?

We used to go to the co-op with a book which had a list of what we had to get, handed it over to the assistant, paid for last weeks shopping and they would let you have what was on the list. then give the divi number so our mum could get the divi. Suppose its the same as getting the card swiped nowadays when we go to the co-op. Can many of you remember your mums divi number?

I can remember mum's number and also gran's! Funny how these numbers stay in your memory eh?

I can remember mum's number and also gran's! Funny how these numbers stay in your memory eh?

how right you are i am 63 and i can still remember my gran divi number it was instilled in my head she would say remember my number i d say yes and then i would have to repeat it to her before i left i don tknow how much they got back but i bet it was only coppers but worth a fortune to my gran

The divi stamps. I'd forgotten about them!. Come to think of it, it was all books, what with the ration books. I once got a good hiding 'cos I went along our street and posted all the ration books in the neighbours' letterboxes. I'd just seen the postman, and thought 'I can do that!'. Think I was about 4 at the time (1952).