Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

how right you are i am 63 and i can still remember my gran divi number it was instilled in my head she would say remember my number i d say yes and then i would have to repeat it to her before i left i don tknow how much they got back but i bet it was only coppers but worth a fortune to my gran

There's certain numbers that people always remember. My Mum can still recite my Dad's army number, and the number of the first premium bond she ever bought. Others know their divi number, or the registration number of their first car. Yet the same people that can instantly recall a number from 50 years ago, have to go through all the names of all their children, grandchildren and pets, before they call someone by their correct name.

Strange isn't it.

Being a big family we always had plenty of clothing coupons but never enough cash to use them all.Neighbours would come and ask for them in exchange for cash or other things they owned.It was illegal though,I believe.

I remember my employers telephone number from 1953. It was 36644!

My Pa-in-law was an amateur radio operator and had his 'wireless' in his shed at the end of the garden. He also had a stove and a kettle,and was in 7th heaven as he drank his 'mash' and called his friends all over the world.I remember his call sign from the 50s.It was G2BXA!

Does anyone remember the hot chesnut man that used to sell bags of roast chestnuts at the top of Snig Hill?

This would have been in the 50's that I remember him. I remember sometimes going to Sheffield with my mum shopping as a little kid & on the way to get the 57 bus she would buy us some chestnuts to warm us up, sometimes it would be snowing & getting quite dark around 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Being a big family we always had plenty of clothing coupons but never enough cash to use them all.Neighbours would come and ask for them in exchange for cash or other things they owned.It was illegal though,I believe.

I remember my employers telephone number from 1953. It was 36644!

My Pa-in-law was an amateur radio operator and had his 'wireless' in his shed at the end of the garden. He also had a stove and a kettle,and was in 7th heaven as he drank his 'mash' and called his friends all over the world.I remember his call sign from the 50s.It was G2BXA!

Talking about clothing coupons. My mum passed away suddenly, when I was 10 years old, and my dad and I didn't have anything in black to wear for the funeral. Then this stranger suddenly appeared, went into the front room with my dad, whisper, whisper, whisper.

Suddenly they both shook hands and the man disappeared.

I saw then, that my dad had a cheque! We hurriedly caught the bus to Rotherham, where we went into a very fine gents outfitters, and got rigged out in the appropriate clothing, my dad then paying with this cheque. I was still curious to know who tht man was, when the assistant in the shop laid the cheque on the counter. I then saw the mans' name on it! He was called PAGET!!! I thought what a kind man! I was so naive, it was years later that I found out you had to pay it all back!

Somehow,my Dad got hold of some silky material for my Mum to make clothes with,but she wasn't too happy when she discovered it was material earmarked to line coffins with! Someone else got the benefit of it.

Also,I believe parachute silk was used to make wedding dresses,and christening gowns etc.

Hi Borick ; I left Sheffield a long time ago and don't know the significance of PAGET - please explain.

And Gangan ; my first flight instructor told me that you can open and check your parachute before each flight or hope none of the riggers got married recently - your choice.

Hi Borick ; I left Sheffield a long time ago and don't know the significance of PAGET - please explain.

And Gangan ; my first flight instructor told me that you can open and check your parachute before each flight or hope none of the riggers got married recently - your choice.

Hi Redneck,

Like handypandy says, Pagets (Padgets?) along with Provident I think it was, was an extortionate form of credit. The agent issued you with a cheque for, say, 20 pounds. This could be spent like cash in any participating shop. This had to be paid back in weekly instalments, to the agent who usually came to the door to collect. Today it goes under the name of American Express!

Wigfalls and other big stores had rental schemes, whereby you would rent a washing machine and a Hoover for a couple of bob a week. This was unique because you paid for years, but never got to own them.