Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

With regard to the washing machine and never owning it yes that was the case but repairs were done by wigfalls and even though you never owned it had the benifit of using it and the cost of renting it was less than you using the launderette especially if you had a large family.

Remeber Sheffield had one of the highest ownership rates of fridges in the country because the council had a scheme where council tennants could pay a little extra on their rent and hire a fridge .

My sister rented a small English Electric fridge from Wigfalls in 1961. It had a new door gasket in c. 1978, by which time the rental amounted to so little that eventually Wigfalls forgot to collect it. In 1983 it moved to my office, and in the mid-1990s we gave it to a pensioner who is still using it. After 46 years it's still going strong - not bad!

What about the remote control. Have you ever tried to explain to the kids that we actually had to stand up - walk to the telly - and then change channels with a big knob that clicked. They'd look at you gone out!!!

If I went back, I would take with me - my automatic washing machine!!!!!!!

It must be one of the best inventions ever.

Next would be my car, we couldn't afford one in the 60's, then my PC then my digital camera.

What more could a woman want?

Marion

In the 40/50s we had a washing machine.The only thing that was automatic about it was the person who had to stand there and turn a handle on the lld! Attached to the underside of the lid was something like a 'posser' which agitated the clothes as you turned the handle.Brilliant for building up muscles,but Mum always had to do the sheets because they were too hard for me to do.:(

If I took a car back to that age then we would have been considered to be rich,because the only time we saw a car on our road it was either the Dr or the priest!:hihi:

We had a little box camera and I've still got some of the photos we took.:|

We had a little box camera and I've still got some of the photos we took.:|

We had one of those...it was a box, covered in black leatherette with a little shutter lever on the front and a knob on the side to wind the film on. A small red coloured window on the back you could see the frame number and a tiny viewfinder on the top you could see almost nothing through :hihi:

Here it is....well something like it.

http://www.ozcamera.com/photo%2022/2207.JPG

The film used was type 120 it exposed a square bout 4inch by 3 inch the photo quality in bright sun was ecellent

If my memory serves me well, I think a 120 film was 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" and 220 was 3 1/4" x 2 1/4" ??? I know the 120 is right because I used it in my Yashicamat (round about 1969). The Kodak Brownie was one of the first mass-produced cameras that many families could afford. Lovely little camera!

You can still buy 120 film. It is 6 cm wide, and the number of frames from a standard spool depends on your camera. My 1950s bakelite Agfa "Clack"* (still in working order after half a century) gives 8 rectangular negatives 3¼" x 2¼" in size, while some cameras will give 12 square 2¼" x 2¼"negatives. 220 film is the same width, but most of the backing paper is eliminated and the standard spool gives a longer length of film. I also have an old Italian camera that takes 127 film, but I don't think you can buy this now.

* See http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/clack/