Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

My mother use to roll the newspapers up and tie them in a knot, suppose it made them burn longer starting the fire up, then pile shiny back coal on top, none of that coke stuff till years later.

You were lucky to have newspapers. There were 18 of us living in a box in t' middle o' road. Every morning we had to saw a bit off me grandad's wooden leg to light t' fire. But we were appy.

Reading the thread made me smile, I remember freeweeling down the steepest road i could find on my chopper, no helmet and wearing coats by their hoods. Building rope swings across rivers and finding 'hideouts' in the woods here we built little camp fires and told eachother scary stories.

can anyone remember buying half a yard of knicker elastic for french skipping in the early 70's?

there was no 'designer' trainers or 'designer' clothes and everybody was just as skint as your parents, but didnt we have a magical childhood!

:) This bought back memories pinklady, knicker elastic was a must for all us girls in the schoolyard, we had endless fun french skipping n when the bell/whistle went you just put it in your coat pocket!, we made dens in the woods, we used to make tree swings out of rope and a strong stick, make see saws out of a large boulder and a ladder, played conkers, my dad soaked ours in vinegar, supposedly to harden them, and we made up all sorts of games with just a plain old tennis ball, and then there was the good old hula hoop, we had hours of fun with such inexpensive 'toys', kids don't know how lucky they are these days ;)

We had a fireplace in the front bedroom (2 up 2 down terrace), but I can never remember it being lit. Coats on the bed, ice on the inside of the windows ......why didn't they light the fire???

We would have the bedroom one lit if one of us kids were poorly and the one in the front room was only lit at Christmas and perhaps on a Sunday.

This was used more when I started to bring my boyfriend of the time home and we would sit in there and play records...

I DO remember the ice on the windows though and the breath coming out like a puff of smoke when getting out of bed in the morning.....:hihi:

My Aunts lav was outside, she kept it locked, we had to ask for the key each time, don't know what people could steal, only cut up newspaper.

That's why people could "Leave the front door open".

No Chioce, the lock was on the Lav.