Judo or other self defence classes wanted

dinger

The university has a popular judo club that always takes new starters.

Being the start of term there are loads of new people there at the moment.

I wouldn't confuse judo with self defence though, it will only really help you fight if the person fighting wants to do judo style wrestling.

I wouldn't confuse judo with self defence though, it will only really help you fight if the person fighting wants to do judo style wrestling.

Wouldn't agree with you there! Judo may not cover all the bases (punching, kicking etc) but is a very good basis for self defence plus you actually get to practice the techniques so you know what works for you and what it's like to fight a resisting opponant.

Edit: clases at the University (if you are a student of course!) for beginners are 8-10 Thursday evening and cost £2 per session with a £5 joining fee and on a supply your own gi basis!

wouldn't disagree with that (the limitations), some arts are more sport inclined though, I think judo is one of them.

So's boxing but I wouldn't rule that out for SD.

Most fights don't start with someone trying to get a good grip for a throw, they start with punches.

I'm inclined to feel many start up close and personal with the eyeballing - perfect Judo distance ;)

I think without exception, street brawls I have been witness to end up wrestling either standing or on the ground. Exactly what Judo trains for.

...Edit: clases at the University (if you are a student of course!)

This is a BJA club so we can accept non-students...

However if you are not so keen on students, find other clubs using britishjudo.org.uk

Archived