Judo or other self defence classes wanted

dinger

Judo is great for fitness so is kickboxing and thai boxing.

Speaking of which.

We do kickboxing classes for total beginners.

Perfect for self defense as well as fitness.

Click on the website for more information.

http://www.sheffieldkickboxing.com

We have classes in more than one venue on almost every day of the week and cover the following areas:

Eccelsall

Town Centre

Walkley/Crookes/Broomhill

Give me a ring on 07775 914155 for class times and venues.

So's boxing but I wouldn't rule that out for SD.

I'm inclined to feel many start up close and personal with the eyeballing - perfect Judo distance ;)

I think without exception, street brawls I have been witness to end up wrestling either standing or on the ground. Exactly what Judo trains for.

True, but if you preemptively ippon them and drop them on their head it will probably be seen as excessive. If you wait for it to go a step further then they will try to punch you, which isn't something that you ever train to avoid.

Boxing is great, it focuses on avoiding being punched, avoiding being clinched (grappled) and landing your own punches back. All of that is ideal, unless you end up on the floor, when it's probably of no use at all.

...If you wait for it to go a step further then they will try to punch you, which isn't something that you ever train to avoid.

I would imagine that any half decent Judo player can manage to avoid a (n untrained) punch, while it is not something directly trained there is often a lot of similarity with the grip fighting Judo players will become accustomed to.

Miss a block and it feels like a punch sometimes! :suspect::hihi:

True, but if you preemptively ippon them and drop them on their head it will probably be seen as excessive. ..

I see what you're saying, and yes the whole 'excessive force' thing is always of concern to me.

(PS. ippon = flat on back not head ;) )

ippon done competitive style, flat on back (for the sake of uke), ippon done street style, on top of head (for sake of uke not getting up again).

I remember the big stocky guy who came to my session with you the night judo was cancelled, he wouldn't punch properly and his blocking was rather week. He was a judo dan wasn't he?

Obviously when I come to your session I get sat on a lot and chucked around, so i'm not trying to say that one style is inherently better, I just think that some styles are more applicable to SD than others.

PS - you were supposed to be sending me your cv.

Judo can be used for self defense, very adaptable and very underrated.

Found it very usefull when I was attacked a few years back.

Mixed with something like Kickboxing, Karate you have a good all round system, certainly very easy to adapt the basic Judo techniques when training in something like Shootfighting.

ippon done competitive style, flat on back (for the sake of uke), ippon done street style, on top of head (for sake of uke not getting up again).

Ok, I guess that's a fair interpretation :hihi:

I remember the big stocky guy who came to my session with you the night judo was cancelled, he wouldn't punch properly and his blocking was rather week. He was a judo dan wasn't he?

Indeed he was/is a dan. A rather good one too.

Without disparaging the style, the punches from novice/yellow/orange are usually not all that threatening. Did you try throwing a decent punch or two his way?

...I just think that some styles are more applicable to SD than others.

I can't argue with that, I was just a bit taken back by the general feeling of 'its a sport so no good for *real* fighting' impression I got from an earlier post.

PS - you were supposed to be sending me your cv.

I'll get it sorted. :thumbsup:

Archived