What self defence would suit me best?

fredsredhat

Im looking for places in sheffield, Im built like a whippet and definately need to get fit.

Ive lived in sheffield for two years now and have seen a lot of what goes on, Ive decided i want to learn a martial art so i can feel confident that i can deal with any situation when im out and about.

does anyone know of any places local to either the centre or Wincobank?

Would definitely recommend Ju-Jitsu. But i will say it can get a bit rough and not many people stick it out and leave after a few weeks. You have to learn the basics first, rolls, break falls, (the boring but essential bits!!) etc... so dont expect to be throwing people around after a couple of weeks. If you do stick it out it is very enjoyable and when you reach your full black belt it will really make you feel like you've acheived something.

Try this

http://www.spiritcombat.com/

I don't think i'd recommend JJ for someone with a sensitive/damaged foot. I suspect that when you are thrown it's going to be impossible for you to adequately protect the foot and so avoid any pain, and you can't do JJ without being thrown.

I agree that there is alot of throwing but you can also learn much more from ju-jitsu without using throws. There are an infinite amount of locks, chokes and ground work which could be very helpful and less painful but i agree throwing/breakfalling is an important part but if you have problems with a damaged foot then any martial art would be difficult.

Guest Mod_Man
Will have a similar problem with the falling, One of the first things you learn in Judo is how to fall properly, which will be a bit difficult.

Aah. Just a suggestion, I know there isn't much kicking involved. Plus i'm tired too and not thinking as efficiantly as i should be, then again do i ever think efficiently? Oooh my curry is nearly ready and it does smell nice. I'm looking forward to it now. Sorry for thread hogging.

Depending on the injury you may find any martial art problematic - even non-kicking arts tend to be very footwork oriented and power moves tend to come from the legs which could cause problems as it wil put a reasonable amount of stress on them. From what I have seen of different arts I might actually suggest kali or escrima which seems to use a lot of whippy hand movements in preference to those which drive through the legs (though I'm sure someone out there will correct me on this!)

Archived