Alderman Harry Bolton Lord Mayor of Sheffield

BILDEBORG

Some years ago i was told by my mother that on her maternal side of the family one of her uncles/cousins was Lord Mayor of Sheffield sometime twixt 1926 and 1929.........I do know that there was a Harry Bolton in that position, but does anyone know how I might find out any dates (birth, marriage, death etc) for the chap mentioned? I do have a Harry Bolton (second cousin twice removed) on my tree and am hoping to prove or disprove that I have the correct Harry Bolton. Please no suggestions that I might 'pop into' the Town Hall as I live in Cornwall!

Cheers,

Jay.

• 5 years later...

Hello Jay. I was just talking to someone last night about my great uncle. He was Harry Bolton, ex lord mayor of sheffield. I know your post is very old, but if harry was in some way related to you then we must be related. My family name is Robinson, and we come from Crookes. My great grandma was Fanny Bolton. I dont know too much about Harry, and theres only my mum left now who might know a little. I do have 1 heirloom though, stuffed away in my mums attic, its an old gramaphone which belonged to harry.

hope this post finds u and you get back to me.

Bye for now.

Paul

• 4 months later...

Hi Jay and Paul in China

Harry Bolton is the brother of my great grandfather, Samuel Bolton. His father was James Bolton and he was brought up at the Hallamshire Hotel on Lydgate Lane in Crookes - it has now been knocked down, but I have a photo of it.

He was born in 1864 and died on 19th January 1933. He was Lord Mayor in 1928-29. There is an obituary in The Daily Independent on 20 Jan 1933, which is in the Local Studies library in Sheffield. I have typed it out so you are welcome to it, if you are interested.

His wife was Clara Swift, born in 1865. They married in Dec 1887 and had one daughter, Sarah, born 1894, who did not marry.

Harry's father, James, was one of 5 children - John, Frederick, Catherine, and Emma. Their parents were James and Catherine. I assume both of you must be descended from one of James's siblings.

Pauline

Hi Jay and Paul in China

Harry Bolton is the brother of my great grandfather, Samuel Bolton. His father was James Bolton and he was brought up at the Hallamshire Hotel on Lydgate Lane in Crookes - it has now been knocked down, but I have a photo of it.

He was born in 1864 and died on 19th January 1933. He was Lord Mayor in 1928-29. There is an obituary in The Daily Independent on 20 Jan 1933, which is in the Local Studies library in Sheffield. I have typed it out so you are welcome to it, if you are interested.

His wife was Clara Swift, born in 1865. They married in Dec 1887 and had one daughter, Sarah, born 1894, who did not marry.

Harry's father, James, was one of 5 children - John, Frederick, Catherine, and Emma. Their parents were James and Catherine. I assume both of you must be descended from one of James's siblings.

Pauline

Just realised that Paul in China's grandmother must Winifred or Kathleen, daughters of Harry and Fanny (nee Addis) Bolton

Hi Polly

Yes, we are that side of the family. Winnie was my grand mother. Jean is my mum. She still lives in Crookes. Winnie died a few years back, maybe 6 years.

I know the stories of the Mad House, (hallamshire) being in the family. Once told one of the landlords there, he thought i was lying until i showed him some old beer tokens from the war. As for Kathleen and her off spring, i dont think our families have spoken for years. Will pass onto my mum and dad about this thread. They probably know you, or of you.

Bye bye.

Hi China Paul

I tried to reply to your thread last week, but it somehow didnt work - not too good at all this yet!

Winnie and my father, Jim, were first cousins, so your Mum and I are second cousins. My grandpa, Albert Foulds Bolton, was your great grandfather's senior brother.

I knew virtually nothing about my father's family until I started to trace his family tree when I retired some years ago and had no idea that my grandfather had so many siblings.

I visit Sheffield annually to do tracing and wonder if your Mum/parents would agree to meet me somewhere. Would you ask them please? I'll bring the family trees I have and it would be lovely if they were able to bring any photos.

Thanks

Archived