The Old Village school Hackenhorpe 1955 to 1958

sandie

As a school kid in the 50's I can remember the school on your birthday you had a choice of the sweets box from the Head, her name I can not remember, as my birthday was the 24th of July I always missed out as the summer holidays usualy started before that date.

After school we used to walk home passed the local post office to Button Lane and down passed the Button factory to the 41 Terminus then to Delves Drive.

Our Doctor was Pagden and Tilsley.

Can anyone remember this time

Dave

I think you will find that "Button Lane" is actually called Church Lane, and that it originally was a road to Utah Terrace, and Bank View, which was a row of terraced houses situated opposite where the Hogs Head pub is now, but the houses used to be in the middle of fields long before the pubs shops and estate was built.

Can you remember Tom Shaw the blacksmiths?

hi S

I attended the School in 1953. I remember it was that year because we went to the Rex cinema on a trip to see the Coronation. I can't recall any teachers names though. I used to walk past the blacksmiths next to the post office and then along Main street on my way home to Cotleigh Way. I was in the first "batch" of students to go to Rainbow Forge whenever it opened. It may have been the following year? They were still finishing off the building when I started. I used to play in the old ruins of Cotleigh Hall just along Main street. We ran along the walls and climbed broken stair cases and had a great time! It's a wonder no one was badly hurt. Doctor Pagden rings a bell somewhere too...... surprising what you can remember when you try!

i was born & bred in hacky,had Pagden & Brook as GP for years. went to the village school before i left the area, when i returned from upperthorpe it was closed that would have been around '69. so i was sent to Rainbow Forge.

dr pagdens house & original surgery is the house behind the bus stop opposite the PO.

i saw Dr pagden a while a go , he honestly looked exactly as he did when i was a child.

Hi Retrokez,

I was born in 51 lived at 33 Delves Drive untill1963 then moves away . I went to the Village School then to Ranbow Forge and on to Carter Lodge.

I left Hackenthorpe 1963 to move to Stannington to return to Woodhouse then left the area. My name is Dave Theaker, hope this helps

I went there about 55-57, and I remember the walk. Up 'Button Lane', stop to pick up pieces of mother of pearl scattered on the road, then some YZ chewing gum (1d) from the machine outside the post office. :thumbsup:

232 Birley Spa Lane.

Thanks saxon51 we did call it Button Lane and collecting the Mother of Pearl was a daily pastime, but I can remember ther were quite large pieces that they had cut out the buttons and what was left was like a drawing template we used to take them home and draw circles on paper like an early spirograph.

The YZ chewing gum machine used to have every forth turn a free packet.

Can you remember the big glass jars full of sweets on the counter, the flying saucers,black jacks, fruit salads, imps and lots more

What great days and sadly missed, you could not do what we did today

Thanks

Archived