Ingoldmells market "auctions"

Hi just returned from a trip to ingoldmells market, as you walk round you see the "auctions" with the crowd holding their hands in the air, the "auctioneer" ranting about xboxes, psp's, mobile phones etc, etc "all brand new, boxes a little tatty" he might say, but to be honest, its that long winded by the time he gets to the crunch ive got bored and left, so i'm wondering if anyone on this forum has actually stayed till the death, and will share with us what super "bargains" they got at the end.

How many walked away with, lets say the latest mobile phone or Xbox.

And more importantly if not, how did the auctioneer wangle out of it

Thankyou.

yeah a friend of mine fell for it, she paid £50 or something like and thought she was buying electricals that were too good to be true! she walked away with a sealed black bag full of boxes in them were a load of tat not worth a fiver. thats what she tells me anyway

these were rife in the 80/90s

Mock Auctions they were called

there is one that runs in Blackpool

once they intice the "Punters" in with promises of mobiles etc they actually bring down the shutter and you aint getting out until they have robbed you blind

i heard the man say "Who will give me £5 for this empty box " and over 20 people put their hands up

His colleague gathered in the £5s

he then said "you know i could give you an empty box but i wont rob you,i am here to give you the bargain of a life time.Those who havent given a £5 will have to leave."

i was physically man-handle out of the unit.

then the shutters came down.

i waited outside,right nosey parker that i am.

i have never seen so many confused looking people,dazed even

there were programmes investigation the legality of these,to be honest i cant remember the outcome

i do know that one in Blackpool still runs every season.

We watched one of these auctions this summer. We paid the princely sum of 50p and got a black bag. It contained a nice pair of Jessops binoculars, a shoeshine kit, some lighters, a fake gold ladies bracelet and some playing cards lol!

For 50p who cares but £50???

You gotta be mad.

I have to admit i fell for the one at ingoldmells and ive sworn revenge ever since!

They have people in the crowd working for them who part with cash and seem to get really good electrical stuff for next to nowt. This gets you to join in and part with your money - in the end you walk away with some crap that wasnt worth the money or the long wait.

The ps2's, nokias, x-boxes are all there to make you think you can get one at a bargain price.

A right con :rant:

and even if you do seemingly get a good deal, the stuff doesn't work when you get back and they will not exchange it or give you a refund as they claim it is fully working. Most of their stock is stuff that has been sent back to shops because it is faulty. I make a habit of making sure everyone stood at the back as i walk past knows about it. I've made many peple feel stupid with comments like ' can't believe all these idiots are being sucked in by those con men' :hihi: At least I've saved some people their money!

Yeah, someone I know fell for it at Ingoldmells. The con man told them that they couldn't open the bag whilst they were still in the market or he would have to take it back off them! Can't remember how much they paid but it wasn't cheap and when they got back to the caravan they'd got a black bin bag stuffed with empty boxes and a heavy glass bowl that was in two pieces!

The thing that really astounds me is, the council/area rely heavily on the tourist trade but they know this goes on day in day out. Why are they allowing this to happen? Answer - don't go there, until the Council cleans up it's backyard!

i find it quite funny that just because the man says 'don't open it till your out of the market or i'll take it back' people actually listen.

mite do it next time n just open it, realise its crap, let him take it back n i'l have my fiver or woteva it is back. either that or ask where is the written contract i signed, where is my receipt, how come the man who buys the psp takes it back n buys another in half an hour.........or is that cos he opened it before he left the market......aahhhhh, found the answer to why people always listen then. :thumbsup:

Archived