Ingoldmells market "auctions"

I got back from there yesterday and got caught in this. Only got involved for a new phone which he claimed to have for £20. So we queued up and watched him give out some amazing lots to people dirt cheap. Then he put on the counter an iphone 3 and 4 an ipad itouch and a blackberry and asked 'who would like this lot?' We raised our hands and asked for 3pound each to get a bidding ticket so we gave him the money and got this ticket. He the asked for £50 so about nine people gave him It thinkin we were goNa get a bargain. He then asked to pick either a video camera or a ipod (fake) so we all chose wat we would prefer. I picked the camera. He theN gave me it and asked for £10. Me being a mug paid it. He kept chatting away etc. My lil 1 was Hungary so I asked for my money back. The bouncer guy aggressively told me no and so I waited and waited for my 'bargain' then another man asked for his money back and the maN verbally intimidated him so we waited and he passed us out these black bags, made his excuses and left. We looked in the bags and found cheap crap worth nothin and a cheap crappy video camera worth about £10. We all got conned out of £194 in total for **** all. No one to blame but ourselves and no legs to stand on.

Actually it's called "doing the run out" a mock auction and if you pressed the coppers hard enough they would get nicked.

The thing is they let people do anything for so long on this market and these people are warned when the trading standards [who have an office on the market] are going to pounce.

They raided this market 3 or 4 weeks ago blocking every exit off and got seven containers full of snide goods as well as loads of gear out of the storage yards up the road.

I know the lads who run the mock auction and last year one of them ended up in hospital when an irate punter came back and smashed him over the head with a hammer.

Archived