Sheffield Districts Jericho, Philadelphia, Gatefield

Hi - re: Philadelphia Steels Works

We have just found some piccies on Picture Sheffield - it was Samuel and William Butcher who owned the works - going by the pictures on PS the works were badly damage by the big Sheffield Flood.

I think it was William Butcher who ran an American steel company for several years in Philadelphia, - he also attempted to found his own company there but the project failed for some reason.

Hi Greybeard - yes it is an IGI entry - when we go to Sheffield next year we plan to check these as some IGI enties do not have parish records to back them up.

With IGI data it's always worth double checking the original source if you can :) I believe the PRs for Sheffield parish church for the 1680s are in print.

It could be that this 'Otter, Sheffield. entry was added via a family 'knowledge' source by someone unknown to us has rather than parish source - we do not know!

But is interesting to know that an Otter Street was there in 1903 - thanks for that; perhaps it was once an area with a few houses or a farm or something.

Otter street lies close to the steep bank of an old bend in the river which some people speculate gave rise to the name 'Attercliffe', or 'Ottercliffe'. With the diversion of the river and subsequent development this bank or 'cliffe' is now not as remarkable a feature as it must have appeared a thousand or more years ago when Atterclife first became an organised settlement.

And of course none of this may have any relevance whatsoever to your ancestors :D

Hi GB - well, I'm also not such the remarkable feature that I was some years ago so maybe there is a connection!!! Ho Ho!!

Thanks for all the extra info; we will definitely look up the original parish records.

PHILADELPHIA WORKS & BUTCHER - We also heard of things not working out in Philly for Butcher (something do do with the idea for a manufacturing process that was either nabbed or superceeded or something).

Do you think he called that area of Sheffield Philadephia at a time when things were looking rosy in the US? Or is the name for that area much older than that?

TA!

I wonder if some of these names could be old council election wards? I remember that Roy Hattersley first stood as a councillor for 'primrose ward' which was part of the original kelvin area. A primrose was the last thing you would expect to find there.

Roy's mother, Enid Hattersley was lady mayoress in 1981 she told me it was ether her husband or her son, I can't remember which, who was a prime mover in getting Kelvin flats built.

Archived