Victory Lane, where is it?

Harry1000

have done a search for you on the sheffield History Forum's website but nothing is coming up under Victory lane (this searches back quite a way 1800 I believe). The only ones it is listing are Vicar lane and Victoria lane

Harry, are you sure its not Vicar lane, This runs off Campo lane, which as you will know is the continuation of Bank Street. and there is a former pub on the corner , the Golden Ball, which is now the Boho restaurant

Isn't the Boho restaurant on the crossroads with Campo Lane, Vicar Lane and Lee Croft? If it is, then the Golden Ball Pub was situated more further along behind the old St. James Church (before it was destroyed in WW II).

Isn't the Boho restaurant on the crossroads with Campo Lane, Vicar Lane and Lee Croft? If it is, then the Golden Ball Pub was situated more further along behind the old St. James Church (before it was destroyed in WW II).

The Golden Ball used to be at 6 Townhead Street, then moved to no. 10 corner of Campo Lane,

It also seems to have moved a couple of times along Campo Lane.

Is it possible that what you've been hearing is 'Fig Tree Lane' :) (off Bank Street)? I can't find any mention of a pub on it though.

Hugh

Hugh, i thought that Figtree Lane was off Trippet Lane, it is the first street left off Trippet Lane. Where the first womens hospital was before they built Jessops.

no, bluebird,

Figtree Lane runs between campo lane/hartshead and Bank Street, behind the Anglican Cathedral.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=435000&Y=388000&width=700&height=400&gride=434873&gridn=387064&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=pc&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=5000&downright.x=66&downright.y=4

it runs from just to the right of york street to where Scargill croft is, on the map above.

it's the street without a name just by the curve of hartshead.

I do believe you are right about the first "jessop" hospital being there, though.

Archived