Holiday Inn - Manchester Road (Broomhill)

I'm not sure that site could sustain west one-esque restaurants and/or shops as it is a bit tucked away... Having said that there are about 6,000 students within 1km of the site (Ranmoor, Sorby, Tapton Halls and private accomodation).

Student accomodation situated their would certainly be popular but if I was the developer I'd be pretty confident of getting higher returns from young professionals...

The returns from private res' will be higher than student accommodation, especially in view of the price paid. the 6000 students will be out of Ranmoor quite soon and those sites will come forward for redevelopment too. Don't expect a student scheme - it's too far out of town.

The existing height will be a determining factor in any new scheme because it would be quite feasible to convert the existing building. I would expect a new scheme that is maybe half the height but with much more density on the site.

Don't expect anything like West One on the ground floor.

Don't expect any demolition before planning consent is granted.

Apart from needing demolition consent in the Broomhill Conservation Area, it's not good sense to demolish a perfectly good building before knowing if you can replace it. The hotel will be on the skyline for some time yet.

I still wouldn't bet against a refurb and conversion.

Archived