Holiday Inn - Manchester Road (Broomhill)

Wedding Couples Generally stayed in the Penthouse as part of the overall package unless it was pre booked,the rooms u were given Shelby will have been 801/802/803 which were the next best thing. (Believe me u didnt miss much,the Penthouse was REALLY outdated,Brown Leather Sofas,Film Star Style Mirrors,Mirrored Wardrobes,they even had a brown leather telephone ffs!)

Christmas Lights outside your room were the Christmas Tree Decorations we used to have every year.

Wedding Couples Generally stayed in the Penthouse as part of the overall package unless it was pre booked,the rooms u were given Shelby will have been 801/802/803 which were the next best thing. (Believe me u didnt miss much,the Penthouse was REALLY outdated,Brown Leather Sofas,Film Star Style Mirrors,Mirrored Wardrobes,they even had a brown leather telephone ffs!)

Christmas Lights outside your room were the Christmas Tree Decorations we used to have every year.

We didn't really mind being kept awake as it was a 'special occasion'. The suite was lovely though - and as for the trees, it made it that bit more memorable! I remember it with fondness.

• 2 years later...

Hi. Looks like the old Holiday Inn is starting to crumble. It's certainly rough around the edges now! Perhaps the "developers" are waiting for natural erosion to perform the demolition job for them? Realistically I guess that during the recession any plans for apartments on the site were pulled due to the lack of available credit?

6 years on and its still there?

Pop up and admire the views...?

Is Sheffield continually after a most wasted use of a building award?

I found this;

[quote name=SHEFFIELD CONSERVATION ADVISORY GROUP

Meeting held 27th February, 2007]

8. HOLIDAY INN, MANCHESTER ROAD

The Group considered an application for planning permission for partial demolition, retention, extension and conversion of tower, and erection of 2 x 4 storey blocks to create 121 x 1, 2 and 3-bedroomed units and 11 x 3 storey town houses in grounds, with associated basement car parking (amended scheme) at Holiday Inn (Post House Hotel), Manchester Road (Case No. 06/00836/FUL).

The Group raised no objections to the proposed conversion of the tower block but, due to the size and height of the tower, it considered that the new 4/5 storey buildings represented an over-development of the site, with the overall footprint reflecting a lack of space between the buildings. The Group expressed particular concern at the lack of details regarding the cladding materials, and colour, for the tower, and commented on the lack of clarity regarding plans for any children’s play facilities when it was likely that the 2/3 bedroomed town houses would attract families. The Group also considered that there was insufficient soft landscaping to act as a buffer on this very prominent site.

I think the plans have finally been approved for whatever they are going to do with this; whether they will actually get on and do it remains to be seen. And if you want another candidate for wasted building award, try the nice house near the top entrance on Manchester Road which was bought by the same people to use as a site office when work actually starts, and has lain empty for several years.

Archived