Springfield School

HP Photosmart Essential - Smart. Simple. Fast!

Unleash the Photo Power of your Printer.

Download your copy in as little as one minute at:

http://www.hp.com/go/pse/email

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments Preview:

scan0002.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

scan0002_1.jpg

Hello Willybite,here I am back again after one or two delays,yes I do remember Kenneth Carr very well, and where he lived on Broomspring Lane,and one of the things I remember about that part was the lovely array of window boxes on the downstairs window ledges.

Ray Parramore,well remembered is also another name I remember,he died at a very early age,Ben and Gordon Yosper too.Just below where Ken Carr lived towards the school was a lad called Frost,Frosty of course,cannot remember his first name,John maybe,and a good mate of mine was Gordon Wood who lived in Aberdeen St,same yard as Peter Glaves.

You say you have difficulty in remembering at 71,what's my excuse at 79!

We are out of the country for the next two weeks so don't think I have left this life,I do not intend to,Yet!

Hi Willy, remember Doris Dawber, Pam Marrison's dad had a butchers shop at the top of Broomspring Lane. I think i've run out of names to remember now, that i was at school with. My dad was at springfield school, and i've got a photo of him and his class, i reckon taken about 1926 ish.

hya jack just read your last last post ive also just about run out of school names, mind you i dont think we've done too bad for 71 year olds do you,when i read some letters in other posts some have trouble with the 70s/80s so our schooling can't have done us any harm can it.when i read your letter of your dad being at springfield school in 1926 my mum and her brothers were there at that time my uncles were jim,b1914,jack b1917 walt b1919 mum,b1916 so the odds are they were at springfield school at the same time

now then j d having used up our school mates names we could start on theirs.

ps jack i'm only kidding

Edited by willybite

hiya jack one or two names for you, can you remember the hadley's was it brian, the timm,s, peter and audrey i recall, the dawber's doris,john. just remembered pamela marrison, she married harold broadhurst, who i worked with at laycocks.

Hiya - I read with interest of your reference to "the timms, peter and audrey"; peter timm is my father and audrey [who later married tom downes] is my aunt. It is many, many years since I have walked round Springfield School and heard my father tell me tales about when he was a lad there. Would like to know of anymore you or anyone else might remember. My father lived in back to back houses in Lawson Street [demolished after the war] near the city centre, and his family was re-housed on Brunswick Street [broomhall].

Does anyone have any photos of classes from Springfield School that would include either my father [Peter Timm] or my Aunt [Audrey Timm]? :):

Edited by C1965

Hiya - I read with interest of your reference to "the timms, peter and audrey"; peter timm is my father and audrey [who later married tom downes] is my aunt. It is many, many years since I have walked round Springfield School and heard my father tell me tales about when he was a lad there. Would like to know of anymore you or anyone else might remember. My father lived in back to back houses in Lawson Street [demolished after the war] near the city centre, and his family was re-housed on Brunswick Street [broomhall].

Does anyone have any photos of classes from Springfield School that would include either my father [Peter Timm] or my Aunt [Audrey Timm]? :):

hiya just read your letter reguarding your dad, he was in the class below me at school, i knew their family lived up broomspring lane way but not exactly where.

the reason i remembered their name was by coinsidence i saw your aunt audrey some 25 years ago in our local shop she was on a checkout and i asked her if she was the sister of peter timm she said yes so i said i went to springfield school at the same time, i was in the same year as pat and terry parramore,doreen coyle,. he maybe cant remember me but i still remember a few of his class mates,there was alf lockwood,keith pepper, gordon foster,terry smith,john farmer,gerald martin,philip heliwell,eric milner,tony millington, your aunt always says hello when we see each other but i havn't seen her for a few years.i was telling my wife jean about your letter and she said she sees audrey sometimes in the hairdressers but hasn't seen her lately, hope your dads ok say hello. ps a few more names i remember michael stevens, peter goodhead, john gibbs,,tony wall,jack mitchell,ken green.

Edited by willybite
addition

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Willy,here's a photo taken of my dad at Springfield circa 1926, well he was born in 1916. He's 5th from the left second row up, maybe some of your family are on there.

file:///C:/Users/Jack/Desktop/New%20Folder/2009-03%20(Mar)/target0.html

file:///C:/Users/Jack/Desktop/New%20Folder/2009-03%20(Mar)_2/index.html

Edited by JackD

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Willy,here's a photo taken of my dad at Springfield circa 1926, well he was born in 1916. He's 5th from the left second row up, maybe some of your family are on there.

file:///C:/Users/Jack/Desktop/New%20Folder/2009-03%20(Mar)/target0.html

file:///C:/Users/Jack/Desktop/New%20Folder/2009-03%20(Mar)_2/index.html

hiya jack

would be great to see the photo as my mum was born in 1916 too can you tell me how to download it as the file names and numbers are a bit confusing it is probably me would be grateful, if i should use them my daughter will explain thanks again willy

Edited by willybite

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again Willybite,

Once again very many thanks or you comments,which have opened more memories that have been tucked away for many many years.

I remember Lew Lindenstruth, and seem to have it in my mind he had some sort of disability?,however another name was Harold Broadhurst who did have a very severe disability,and when we picked sides for football we always"picked" Harold in and so he did not feel left out,and whoever's side he was on always put him in goal.

Mr Sidall was our milkman,we lived on Upper Hanover St nearly opposite the top of Aberdeen St, and when he was delivering milk with the milk float as he walked down the street a word from him and the horse moved on to the next stop.I seem to remember he had some cows at the back of his premises in Monmouth St for the milk supply,can you imagine that these days,Mr Sidall was very proud when his son was accepted into the police.

I remember the scrapyard, and also a collect it yourself coal merchants somewhere around the Headford St area, where small amounts of coal could be bought and for a small deposit have the use one of their small barrows, and my sister Joy and myself often went for coal when we were running short during the war.

I remember Clifford Glaves very well,he and his cousin Peter,who lived in Aberdeen St were members of our group(I think gang is a dirty word these days!) another was Ron Lindsay who went on to become famous as Jimmy Crawford.

Another big mate of mine from those days was Norman Bartholomew,who sadly died some months ago,a good footballer but he did have proper football boots, as you well know times were hard in those days,but I had a pair of boots,and I mean BOOTS,lace up to the ankle with big too caps big nail in leather studs,so when Norman was selected to play for the school he always used my boots as he and I were the same size more or less,and what is a size or two between friends.

The name Frank Broadhurst seems familiar but nothing else,As yet!!!

p s i recall the sidalls delivering milk for us at home during the war and remember the daughter,in the mid sixtys she had an haberdashery shop just past the red lion at heeley, and do you remember a delivery girl called eva,i've remembered these two for over sixty six years.

• 3 weeks later...