Springfield School

Hello Billy Thanks for putting me straight about No 20 Yes I remember most of the people you mentioned but unfortunately I can't remember you. It must be the age !!!!!! We didn't use to move very far did we? My wife Carol used to live down Crookesmoor Road until she was nine. The cobblestone part with the bomb buildings at the back. She alsoi came to liv e on Edward Street Flat but I didn't know her then. I met her at work at Lodestart Motor Company on Stanley Street in the Wicker. I was a cradle snatcher she was only 17 and I was 24 Talk to you again soon. regards Derek

Hello Billy Thanks for putting me straight about No 20 Yes I remember most of the people you mentioned but unfortunately I can't remember you. It must be the age !!!!!! We didn't use to move very far did we? My wife Carol used to live down Crookesmoor Road until she was nine. The cobblestone part with the bomb buildings at the back. She alsoi came to liv e on Edward Street Flat but I didn't know her then. I met her at work at Lodestart Motor Company on Stanley Street in the Wicker. I was a cradle snatcher she was only 17 and I was 24 Talk to you again soon. regards Derek

hiya i was pals with john farmer,keith pepper,terry smith, graham kay, dennis bradley,ron gregory, i had ginger hair. i remember when you got, i think,your first bike, it was the envy of us all,one of our pastimes was looking in cycle shops on sundays praying for our time to come.i remember hearing you cycling to ,bakewell,buxton, then when you got really going cleethorpes. happy times eh ha ha

Edited by willybite

Hello Billy Yes I now remember you. It just takes a bit of thought and a reminder. I was telling my I thought you had red curly hair. I used to go cycling with Alan Stocks and Keith Pepper and Brian Brookes. Yes the good old days not much money but a lot of good times. Still no money and still enjoying my life. Cheers Derek

hiya derek

got a shock about two hours ago,i was chatting about this thread to one of my neighbours and his wife about one david baldwin, derek walker and his brother ernest, the reason being that ernest is a mate of this neighbour and i was telling them what a small world it is with the internet i was telling them about being in touch on the computer with you and saying we all went to the same school albeit in different years ,i mentioned your name and your cousin barry cheswick , and they stopped me as soon as i said cheswick his wife said "barry cheswick australia" i said yes she said "thats my cousin" now then it's an even a smaller world, i said barry was a churchman, and went to australia in the seventies she said yes thats right this lady is called marion her husband is tony bellamy ex footballer. she mentioned the name chamberlin or a similar surname .i said i'd tell you when i went on this thread( we may have got a couple of converts to pc)

i think they think they're too old to learn but i used to think this ,but i took the plunge about six years ago the beauty of it is where we live we have pc teachers supplied from the local council, there are also computers in our local library to use free of charge. another name i've just remembered was ala machin (dont know the right spelling but it always sounded like this),

Edited by willybite

G'day Billy sorry about this but I have been having trouble sending my messages I was telling you I rang our Barry and we had a good old chat about the old days and yes he is a cousin of Marion on his dads side. He doesn't remember you though. He was asking if you could post a photo but I said I don't know about that. I will make this short and sweet in case it doesn't go again. Great to keep in touch. Derek

I remember Hudsons shop and my sister was in the same class as Ronnie Wetherall.

I seem to remember a family called Sterling?who lived on Headford St,Richard Sterling?,who was called the jubilee baby because he was born on the day it was King George the fifth's jubilee,or something like that! it was a very long time ago.

There was another popular shop on Broomhall St right opposite the top of Headford St, Stuchburys, and when Cyril went into the Army during the war his wife carried on the business.

Anyone remember Alice Hudson/froggat who had the shop next to Viners on Bath st and Ron Wetherall who lived round the corner

hiya stewpot i remember the hudsons little shop you described their son was jack i used to see jack the odd time where i used to live,i don't think he would have remembered me as he was around 4/5 years older than me when i lived on bath street up to 1961 just before the clearance.i also remember the crampton's shop their daughter was called betty, above there lived dick sterling with his mum and sister margaret, and in the last house before the wide opening to the double entry yard lived the yates, son was terry and he had a sister whose name i don't remember going back to the hudsons can you remember winter time when we had a fall of snow the sleigh was brought out for the local kids.when i start thinking of bath street the names start coming back,do you remember the shores, the saxons,the smiths,ridges, i've mentioned before, brookes, oates's, haigue's mottrams,padleys,creaser's,deans,the coles. the cottons the hibbard's who lived down headford st one house below bradley's chip shop do you remember wainers chip shop later gardials not sure of the spellings.then just round the corner of headford st and broomhall st was hayes sweetshop.the corner shop before hayse was mrs chapman grocers,across the road up the first entry lived the foulkes's further down was the maltby's, the turtons. the kenyons,roome's.the piersey's the legdons and brian whitworth who i think was a cousin of the deans and on broomhall st who could foreget the crofts,peter,allan,sister betty ??? and eric ludlam. i've just remembered i think arthur slingsby (mebby) he was i think a very good weight lifter.remember the eades,harry,derrek,ernest,lucetta,the ransomes,cliff,fay, and other siblings i think their father only had one arm..

ps the name ala machon comes to mind did you know the name also mrs robertshaws (she lived in the same yard as john farmer and lol parramore and wife joan) whose granddaughters lived in the yard behind the stirling's

Edited by willybite

Anyone remember the Welsh woman called Glyniss[?] who lived next door to the Ridges on Bath st.

We think she used to sell herself to men or that was the word on the street

Also the Harrisons who ran a back street betting shop on Bath st. and used to pay for 'lookouts' in case the coppers turned up.