Springfield School

Does anyone remember my cousin Michael Farr who went to springfield school about this time,his dad kept the newsagency across from the Weston picture house.

hiya jackd guess who? yup i remember Mick Farr from school days he was in the class above us, didn't know he was your cousin,i remember the shop opposite the weston,and later when the redevelopment was made they had a shop at the top of st philips rd. my dad was brought up further down st philips rd, it was down bellefield lane, i dont know if he knew micks dad from that time or when it was when my dad lived on mitchell street flats.the last time i spoke to mick was around 1968/9 just after his dad had died and he had taken the shop over,i seem to remember mick died just after not sure, when i went in the shop he remembered me with a ar do bill it was 16/18 years since i'd seen him.

Edited by willybite

Hi Willy, you never fail to amaze me, you'r like a telephone directory with all these names. Here's another for you, Peter Ward he lived in Broomspring Lane i think.

hiya jack you are the same, i do remember the name peter ward i don't know where he lived only he didn't live around near me, but he was in the class below us at school.

ps i had a post from peter timms daughter after i mentioned his name on one of my post's, peter ward was in his class i think.

pps. ? just one or two more then that will be it thanks for the corespondence on this thread jack, cheers..

pps sorry jack one more robert godbehere remember him passed 11+ a year later when he was 12 years old.

Edited by willybite

I remember Hudsons shop and my sister was in the same class as Ronnie Wetherall.

I seem to remember a family called Sterling?who lived on Headford St,Richard Sterling?,who was called the jubilee baby because he was born on the day it was King George the fifth's jubilee,or something like that! it was a very long time ago.

There was another popular shop on Broomhall St right opposite the top of Headford St, Stuchburys, and when Cyril went into the Army during the war his wife carried on the business.

hiya i seem to think cyril with his wife annie had the newsagents on hydepark flats when they moved from broomhall st i think they were the first newsagents on hyde park flatsl, i do know that herbert brandwood ? (crossy) had the one on the pavement as he came from st philips rd. i remember a relative of the stutchbury's were mr and mrs jepson on bath st (he was known as snicker), two more names highnote remember ??? ayres, and peter franks broomspring lane.

Edited by willybite
rewrite

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Willy, you never fail to amaze me, you'r like a telephone directory with all these names. Here's another for you, Peter Ward he lived in Broomspring Lane i think.

jack did you go to the swimming baths with the school i just remembered our first instructor his name was sam blatherwick when i started going i was able to swim a bit but his idea was to line us at the edge of the pool and tell you to jump in, of the ones who didn't he would gently push them in, once in we all helped each other. another one was a mr wall i met him some five years after i left school and he still remembered me and the school he was swimming teacher with peter price.

a few more names jack remember peter stringer,june lomas,shirley crawshaw,elaine white, shirley cartwright,shiela moorhouse,ray creaser, barry green, mick crossley,brian nussey,michael naylor they all passed the11 +.

jack i can go back a bit further then that will be it i remember tony stephenson,,(steers),maureen lindley,yvonne gill,mary jones, helen white,(not elaine) ,pat streets, and pat saunders.i remember too in miss radford's class for some reason albert young was in our class for a while,the thing i recall was we all were learning to write our own names and were to write our names surname first and cristian name last, and alberts came out young albert.

Edited by willybite
additional names

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

ive just been reading about St Silas School & all your memories,I called my mother to ask if she has similar memories to you all & she has,we`ve had a wondeful trip down her memory lane.

she is Beatrice Garrett & lived on Hodgson St & had a sister Annie & 2 brothers George & Jimmy

She says the owners of the chip shop on Young St with the monkey were the Spears & they also had a daughter.

She asks if anyone remembers the chip shop on Clarence St known as Dirty dicks & Mucky Joe`s ?

her best friend was & still is Maureen Whiehead,she is related to Terry & Pat Parramore & remembers Harold Broadhurst:)

if any of you remember my mother Id love to hear from you so I can let her know

Edited by denise50

• 1 month later...
The mention of Jack Hudson has awakened another memory,did he not have a go at being a professional boxer,and I was in St Silas scouts, the Scout Leader was Ron Jones who held the post for many many years,me and my mate Ken(Curly)Wild had some happy times,and when Ken joined the band to play the bugle he nearly bust a gut learning,he used to live just near us on Upper Hanover St and he could be heard practising in the back yard producing all sorts of sounds,but eventually he mastered the instrument,and was able to join the scout band.Ken has gone now but always remembered as a great pal.

My siser was Akela at St Silas Cubs for many years until she got married, and went to live out of Sheffield.

Another name mentoned was Ridge,and Frank was another big mate of mine who lived on Bath St.

hiya highnote, was speaking to frank broadhurst's widow yesterday, she asked me if i knew one or two people, she mentioned charles eckhardt, and told me he'd passed away some time back ,also lew lindenstruth, also she did mention dick sterling she said he was still well. also been told ron wetherall passed away a couple of days ago.

Edited by willybite

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Hi All

ive just been reading about St Silas School & all your memories,I called my mother to ask if she has similar memories to you all & she has,we`ve had a wondeful trip down her memory lane.

she is Beatrice Garrett & lived on Hodgson St & had a sister Annie & 2 brothers George & Jimmy

She says the owners of the chip shop on Young St with the monkey were the Spears & they also had a daughter.

She asks if anyone remembers the chip shop on Clarence St known as Dirty dicks & Mucky Joe`s ?

her best friend was & still is Maureen Whiehead,she is related to Terry & Pat Parramore & remembers Harold Broadhurst:)

if any of you remember my mother Id love to hear from you so I can let her know

hiya i was in the same class as terry and pat parramore right through school,,and remember their siblings, ray,sheila ,rita, and a young brother and i knew and worked with harold broadhurst, he lived on eggerton lane, i lived on bath street, i went to sunday school on hodgson street and knew harry maclarrence there was a boy who had a scalded leg, didn,t get to know him at all.

Edited by willybite

• 1 year later...

Hi my name is Anita. My father was Alan Stocks, my mother was called Doris. They lived at 34 Thomas Street. Alas my father died in 1973 he was only 54 years and my mother died in 1982 she was 63 years. My father went to Springfield School and so did his brothers & sister. If anyone has a photo of my dad when he was a lad can you please copy it and post it to me using email.

Edited by nightowl_uk