Anyone know a way round the BT installation fee?

scottf

hello everyone!!

Basically in the small block of flats that me and my girlfriend live in there is BT lines plumbed in but no-one has ever used the one in our flat, we have just bought a new PC and want to use the internet but BT has told us that before anyone can use the line we have to pay a £124 'installation fee'!!!

anyone know any way round it? everone who we have looked at need a BT line to use there services and cable doesn't operate in our area :(

the flat my sis has just moved into has the same set up - except there's an NTL box in the flat too - and BT are being stupid enough to sit on their hands over this :roll:

If she goes with NTL for a bit she can convert to a BT account at a later date for a reduced fee, so why don't they do the 'good business sense' thing and take her as a customer for this fee now? :huh:

Yeah, i have tryed telling them that if they waive the installation fee i will join up for there broadband deal for 12 or 18 months but there being stubborn so i if they don't then they can stuff and ill use someone else!!!!

If nobody has ever used the line, it will almost definately mean BT having to send someone out to your nearest roadside cabinet, and exchange in order to 'patch you in' to the phone network. From experience, it's very difficult to get them to waive charges which cover somebody doing some actual physical work like this. Good luck!

If nobody has ever used the line, it will almost definately mean BT having to send someone out to your nearest roadside cabinet, and exchange in order to 'patch you in' to the phone network. From experience, it's very difficult to get them to waive charges which cover somebody doing some actual physical work like this. Good luck!

Nail on the head. They could be persuaded to waive admin fees - but they will not pay for the engineers' work themselves. If it requires an engineer - someone has to pay for it - and that someone is you.

• 2 years later...

According to the charter BT are not supposed to make a profit out of the install charge.

I rang them and they told me that I would have to pay 125quid for the install despite the fact that I know full well that the person in the flat had a bt line that they cancelled 4 days before I moved in.

BT must have been perched on the exchange waiting for the removals van to drive away to remove the pins.

Why would they do that if they don't make a profit?

Trying to imply that sending 2 full time 'engineers' to jumper 2 pins at either end of a fully connected circuit costs 125quid is ludicrous.

If there's a physical Line and BT Phone point in the flat, its not a £124 installation charge, that only applies if the engineer needs to put a phone socket in, and cable you up to the exchange, you should only pay an activation charge..

I agree that I SHOULD be paying an activation charge, however they are telling me that the line was removed as it was needed for another customer.

The line was cancelled less than a month, yet the connection was removed.

I do not believe for a second that their capacity is so limited that they need to reclaim the pins within a few weeks. If it is, it is because they have grossly underspecced the capacity of the exchange. £125 per customer is enough money to justify a connection PER household, and that is exactly what you pay for when you hand over your £125.

To charge another customer a reconnection fee for a line that has already been paid for at a cost that is based on a dedicated new line install, because the line that the previous person paid the exclusive rights to has been used for the benefit of another person that has also paid a charge for their own dedicated line is disgraceful.

The connections should be left in and if they run out of capacity they should increase the capacity of the exchange, not run round immediately reclaiming connections and saving exchange equipment costs at everyone elses benefit.

I will 100% guarantee that the extra revenue generated from this practice is not included in BT wholesales so called 'not for profit' calculation

Archived