Famous people from North Sheffield

and roy hattersley lived with his mother on ridgeway road which is also not north

according to his biography, "a Yorkshire Boyhood" which I've just read, he lived(as a boy/youth) up near wadsley church (which is on edensor road) on (I think) Langsett Ave, or there abouts,

which IS north (ish)

So he lived in Sheffield for a while? Interesting... From what Im told here he never went close to sheffield unless he was performing there. However its been years since my other halfs dad played darts with him so...

I might be getting him mixed up with Edwin Starr...my apologies (easily done) :blush:

I might be getting him mixed up with Edwin Starr...my apologies (easily done) :blush:

Edwin Starr lived in Sheffield?

His version of "Breaking down the Walls of Heartache" which they played regularly at the Nether Edge Hall Northern Soul Club in the early 70's, is one of my favorite records

• 2 years later...
Let's hear it for Tony Oxley, Cecil Taylor's drummer, might not be everyone's cup of tea, but a sorta' fame nonetheless.

You have to feel good Texas when a Son/Daughter of Tony's reaffirms your sentiments. It seems to me Tony was married to a Sheffield girl at some point early in his musical career and we all know he eventually moved to London and then Germany. None of any body's business really, but I wonder where 'A OXLEY' who posted the comment resides and perhaps could tell us what Tony Oxley is up too these days.

Edwin Starr lived in Sheffield?

His version of "Breaking down the Walls of Heartache" which they played regularly at the Nether Edge Hall Northern Soul Club in the early 70's, is one of my favorite records

Claim to fame!! "Edwin" was a friend of a friend and lived near Nottingham. I was supposed to get to meet him when he visited Stannington shortly before he died, but at the last minute something unavoidable came up and I couldn't get there on the day to meet him. They rang me up to see if I was still coming and I got to talk to him on the phone as I was helping them with a computer related problem at the time. He later sent them a signed album for me which I have still got!

Archived