Am I being awful or just a snob?

that makes you about 9 years old then. If you see my OP they were alot younger than that, and if I was your mother you wouldn't have been given the money to blow on crap from the shops on your way to school. You would have had some fruit in your pocket incase you got the munchies.

* but then again I'm a wooly liberal parent

EEy, nah then, I wasn't havin a go, I have no Idea how old I was, and I wasn't given money to blow on crap, I'd earn a bit of pocket money in exchange for doin a few household chores.

Mom always had a bowl of fruit on the livin' room table, and I very rarely had a piece, but that was just to tide me over till could get some proper crap.

What is the age that it is considered acceptable for children to walk themselves to school?

I did from about ten years old I think, but now I have a nephew approaching that age the thought of it fills me with horror.

What is the age that it is considered acceptable for children to walk themselves to school?

I did from about ten years old I think, but now I have a nephew approaching that age the thought of it fills me with horror.

My eldest now walks to school alone, hes 11 coming on for 12. I still worry but there comes a time when you have to let them go. Plus he would probably get a right roasting if mummy walked him to secondary school :hihi:

That said his grandma lives by the school so he pops in there every morning and evening to say hello!

I used to walk to and from Southey school from the age of about 6 in all weathers and I never had any probs.

However, this was a long long time ago because im an old fart.

Actually there was the occasional mammoth or sabre toothed cat i had to dodge.

I can remember when this was all fields.

You know that teacher in form 1? The art teacher? Thats your boyfriend that is.

He paints pictures of you on the walls.

Erm... what was the thread topic again? I forgot...

• 8 years later...
I took my son to school in the morning after a hearty breakfast, crappy awful weather today (I think we can all agree.)

Went to the newsagent to buy him some tissues and had horrible thoughts as I waited to pay.

A group small children (primary infant age) no coats on, buying up loads of chocolate, crisps and cheap fizzy pop all stood in front of me. They then made their own way to school munching as they walked in the drizzle unsupervised. (youngest was about 6, oldest 8 if that)

awful thoughts crossing my mind included:

1. God how can the parents send them out without coats

2. Don't they get any breakfast?

3. I hope they get across the three busy roads ahead of them without getting killed.

So am I being a snob by thinking these kids are being dragged up and not properly cared for?

No. These could be council estate kids so they could be chavs so be careful.