Forum basketball team

Has anybody watched the performance of the US men's basketball team in the Olympics? What a disaster! America is in mourning lol. Stll we have a chance to win bball gold. They're called women!

The US absolutely sucked last night, none of them could get going. Open 3s hitting the side of the backboard, airballs, it was really poor. Arroyo was sensational on the night for Puerto Rico it has to be said. I don't know what Iverson was up to but some of the things he did didn't make sense, needless fouls and such like, just frustration I suppose. Bottom line though, their shooting was a joke. I don't know what their end field goal % was but it can't have been good. Just watched Australia in the women's competition, they look pretty good.

The US women also look very good. Three of them, Swin Cash, Sue Bird, and Diana Taurasi are graduates of the University of Connecticut, which has won the National Championship a record 5 times This year UConn men also won, making the first time one University has won both titles. Veteran Lisa Leslie pointed out that NBA players play for individual glory and are not good team players. She advised the men to watch the girls to learn about team spirit. It's about time we realize that basketball has become a world sport and we no longer are auromatically king of the hill. Canada learned that lesson years ago when Russia came over and won every hockey game they pkayed.

• 2 weeks later...

Proof positive that the NBA as of now is a myth. The quality of play by Argentina was awesome, and I was sorry that Lithuania couldn't complete the rout. Our own men players were made to go watch our women play the other day by the coach., just to show what a team game is all about. The attitude of these guys was pure ghetto and an insult to some fine girls. The womens final against Australia was a beauty,played hard and well by both teams . Great sportsmanship!

Originally posted by buck

The womens final against Australia was a beauty,played hard and well by both teams . Great sportsmanship!

Thats what the Olympics is all about in this new "world of terror" we all live in! I enjoy nothing more than watching a good sporting contest between many nations, great teamwork and also rivalry, but then after the match great friendship too!

After watching the brilliant Amir Kahn boxing for GB today, it was great to see after the fight shaking hands and being sporting gentlemen.

I just wish some of the teams, one very local team in particular, that we meet in our University basketball games had the same attitude. During, and then constantly after, hurling personal abuse at our team is pretty sad to see. It happens a lot in sport were some people just act like d*ckheads and can ruin the game.

Lets just hope the Olympics can help give everyone the right attitude.

Steve

http://www.sheffieldbasketball.tk

AOL just ran a poll to see what kind of team we should send to the next Olympics. THe result was 87% for a team of college players. Unfortunately, many of the best young talents in America are being recruited into NBA from high school or in second year college, given enormous salaries and ruined from day one. But I suspect a lot more recruiting is going to come from Europe and South America, most of it ,of course, white. Not a racist statement but many white American players have not been made welcome into teams, so a good mix would be welcome. It works in the women's game, but again so does everything else. Can't wait till our own college season begins at the end of October

Here are a couple of excuses I heard from US players during a post tournament interview.

1. "The rings over here are at a different height to back home. Ours are ten feet but in Europe it is three metres something."

2. "The ball didn't seem as round as the NBA balls."

Honest, these are genuine.

Paid millionaires they may be but geniuses! forget it. Most don't complete college, and would never have been there in the first place if not for some talent with a ball. The difference between the mens and womens experience is that a lot of the women players play the winter in european leagues. The WNBA is a summer league. So all the men had to do is go over and play some friendlies for a while. Our top college teams do it. But that's beneath the dignity of those arrogant multi millionaires who really belong in the Globetrotters.

Originally posted by buck

Paid millionaires they may be but geniuses! forget it. Most don't complete college, and would never have been there in the first place if not for some talent with a ball. The difference between the mens and womens experience is that a lot of the women players play the winter in european leagues. The WNBA is a summer league. So all the men had to do is go over and play some friendlies for a while. Our top college teams do it. But that's beneath the dignity of those arrogant multi millionaires who really belong in the Globetrotters.

In some ways I prefer to watch NCAA to NBA, those kids put so much more into it and obviously the standard of play is still top rate.

Those excuses are awful!! I thought footballers had novel excuses but they're just ridiculous. If anything with the 3 point arc being closer than in the NBA they should've had a field (no pun intended) day.

Archived