Forum basketball team

Originally posted by Andyman

OK "AIR" this sounds like fighting talk.

I feel a one on one competition coming on.

Andy ( 6'6'', 250 lbs forward) but VERY old.

I lied, no one has ever called me that :)

I would definatly be up 4 sortin out a team. Used to play a bit a few years ago until injury in a cup final ruined my chance of stardom (sob, sob) but its all back to normal now and Id jump at the chance of playing again!

Originally posted by Andyman

Hi, just been speaking with Trevor and have a bit more firm info.

The league you saw is the Sheffield League, I think there are two divisions????

Top of first is competetive, ex NBL and other good standard players.

Some teams have entered mixed sex teams, it is not a requirement and has not happened for a year or two.

There used to be a mixed sex summer league but that folded about four years ago.

Fat Lads still play in Sheffield league and actually won a few games last season. My apologies for earlier comments.

There is a recreational session for Sharks supporters at the EIS on Sunday mornings run by a guy called Carl, I will get his email or contact and post here. He is always looking for teams to play ad hoc games against.

That is about it for local stuff.

If you do get something going I would like to try out. Used to play National League for about fifteen years at Sheffield, Doncaster, Leeds and Bradford. Coached and played for Sheffield after that up to National level but have not played seriously for years now. Obviously getting older and slower but can stillplay a bit.

Andy

Cheers for that Andy, very useful. I think I got my leagues mixed up and who played in them:blush: Anyway all I want is to start a rec' team for people who like playing but not at a high standard. I know Carl and have sent an email regarding info on the summer league/Sheffield league, but I went on the fat lads website and there was a dealine of yesterday for teams to enter a summer league at E.I.S. The game I played in with the fat lads enden up in a 55-53 loss:rolleyes: Oh dear, I didn't play that many minutes I had a bad back that night:P I haven't played for a while either with a knee and ankle problem that's just really back to normal now.

Anyway Andy 6'6" 250, i'm 6'3" 239 that's the centre and forward positions filled:D ;)

O.k I know a couple of people who may come down if we get something started. Andyman can you get info from carl or trevor I haven't got contact details anymore, will try and find them.

Maybe we could meet up one time to have a game somewhere between ourselves. I can get half court a hillborough leisure centre so we can have one on one etc.

O.K this is a bit short notice but i'm trying to book some time at Hillsborough on Sunday if any of you are interested PM me tomorrow and I will hopefully have a time for when i'm going and we can have a get together there.

I wouldn't mind playing again as well. Used to play at parson cross college and sheffield hallam university to a decent standard.

Haven't played since I left uni in '99 though. Plus I'm probably a couple of stone heavier since those days as well.

Archived