Soaphouse lane Woodhouse (Tripe Factory & Scrap Yard)

sandie

Hi Capricorn_11,

Thanks for your reply can you remember when Alan Holdsworth teamed up with Paul Machin who used to have the paper shop in the village, both Alan and Paul lived on Rodger Road Alan @ 2 and Paul @ 12, I used to live @ 6.

Soaphouse Lane must have had 3 different industries within the same complex Tripe, glue and soap thinking about it they all have the same ingreadients. I was not aware that the area is now covered in houses, I also think there will be Austins, Morris's old ford pop's etc.

Thanks for the memories Dave

Hi alchresearch,

I can remember the apples and pairs, but I got caught scrompping as we used to call it and finished up with a clip round the ear from the local copper who was based at the local Police Station opposite the Brunswick, can't remember his name. But we used to be able to go and play as kids and come home when it got dark and no body worried, those were the days and it would be great if we could return to these values.

Thanks for your memories.

Regards Dave Theaker

we used to go scrumping down the lane at the other side of the railway, down towards the sekko (or however its spelt lol) normally its only said not spelt :P

Hi methebell,

do you meen the old village school at Hackenthorpe

Regards Dave

nah

down the lane at the other side of the railway from soaphouse lane

theres a large field on the right hand side, thats the sekko, we used to play golf on there and camp out, just before it as well there was an old railway tunnel or something half filled in

nah

down the lane at the other side of the railway from soaphouse lane

theres a large field on the right hand side, thats the sekko, we used to play golf on there and camp out, just before it as well there was an old railway tunnel or something half filled in

Melthebell

You mean Junction Lane!

I don't think it was a railway tunnel, I was always led to believe it was the remains of the colliery that was down there, I may be wrong, but someone may put me right.

Melthebell

You mean Junction Lane!

I don't think it was a railway tunnel, I was always led to believe it was the remains of the colliery that was down there, I may be wrong, but someone may put me right.

well i dunno what it was, just looked like a tunnel to me :P

once we were kipping out down there, walking about in the dark, heard footsteps coming towards us out of that tunnel...couldnt see owt but we chucked some stones and run...lol

mightve been a tramp

did Wathens used to have a scrapyard near fitzwilliam street in the late 50's early 60's, the name rings a bell. I seem to recall there was a small explosion where a couple of youngsters climbed over the gates and put a match in an old fuel can or something

did Wathens used to have a scrapyard near fitzwilliam street in the late 50's early 60's, the name rings a bell. I seem to recall there was a small explosion where a couple of youngsters climbed over the gates and put a match in an old fuel can or something

Hi Dustbunny,

Yes you're right. they did have a yard down Fitzwilliam St, somewhere below the Wellington Pub on the left I think.

Me and a friend of mine used to visit it regularly, he lived round Havelock St. The Wathens lived in a big house on Upperthorpe Road at the back of where the old Infirmary stood.

regards Capricorn.

• 1 month later...

Being born in Woodhouse and having grown up there I remember the tripe factory well. My dad used to call every Friday on his way back from work armed with his pushbike and tripe he would take great delight in not letting us forget what was for tea, we suffered in silence just to please him. If that was`nt enough mum used to boil a whole tongue in the pan and then press it each week! Bet you can`t guess what we had for sandwiches?

And I bet apart from the fry up Mondays with Sunday dinner leftovers, midweek it would be stew with breast of lamb and beast heart unless you wer lucky it would be rabbit. We also used to have drippin sandwiches.

Another delecasy was cow heal and bag (which was the stomach of th pig) and a good pork butcher would have bags of scraps now called Pork Scratinings at a rediculas price.However it never hurt us and as kids our belly was full. Oh what Memories

Archived