Soaphouse lane Woodhouse (Tripe Factory & Scrap Yard)

sandie

• 1 year later...
Soaphouse Lane was my old stomping ground. There was the field at the start of the lane, followed by Croda Agricultural, the Tripe Purveyors (I remember the sign at the top of the lane), the allotments and the empty detached house and bungalow next to it.

Nothing much but fields after that until you got to the Scrap Yards. I used to go down there for apples and pears on the trees between the scrapyard and the viaduct.

The empty detached house and bungalow belonged to my great aunt and uncle, Jack and Peggy Buck. Jack was the foreman at the sewage works for many years. Peggy (nee Mottram) was born at Handsworth Hall Farm This area was designated as an area for 'unattractive' industry, hence the glue factory, soap works, tripe factory, scrapyard and the original sewage works which were located somewhere up there. I have many fond memories of that road

My Great Auntie and Uncle lived alongside the tripe factory. I could never figure out his job for it to include a home but there you go. (Mr & Mrs Garlic.)

My current mechanic was also the owner of the scrap yard, Graham Wathen.

The empty detached house and bungalow belonged to my great aunt and uncle, Jack and Peggy Buck. Jack was the foreman at the sewage works for many years. Peggy (nee Mottram) was born at Handsworth Hall Farm This area was designated as an area for 'unattractive' industry, hence the glue factory, soap works, tripe factory, scrapyard and the original sewage works which were located somewhere up there. I have many fond memories of that road

Hi diddy your reply was interesting from my original post I have found out quite a lot of ifo regarding Soaphouse Lane, but the one thing I would like to know is the name of the Artic that used to be parked there as a paper boy I used to go past it every day and allways admired the sign writing on the cab an it was allways clean.

Can you help

Thanks

Hi diddy your reply was interesting from my original post I have found out quite a lot of ifo regarding Soaphouse Lane, but the one thing I would like to know is the name of the Artic that used to be parked there as a paper boy I used to go past it every day and allways admired the sign writing on the cab an it was allways clean.

Can you help

Thanks

I'll remember it in a bit, Wasn't he a fruit and veg man from Parkway market.

The signwriting was the old style Haulier/Gypsy type with plenty of gold on it.

nah

down the lane at the other side of the railway from soaphouse lane

theres a large field on the right hand side, thats the sekko, we used to play golf on there and camp out, just before it as well there was an old railway tunnel or something half filled in

It was indeed a railway tunnel, as i recall stories from an old relative, it used to be on a line that connected Brookhouse pit with Beighton then Treeton and Orgreave..

As i also recall, when the builders were preparing the land for the new houses at the top of Soaphouse lane, they unearthed it and allowed the public to view and walk through for just 1 weekend before they RECOVERED it.....

Amazing, they just filled it in and covered it back up before building on it.

• 3 months later...

Archived