Soaphouse lane Woodhouse (Tripe Factory & Scrap Yard)

sandie

Remember having a few snogs down Soaphouse Lane , the glue factory , Wattens scrap yard and the Tripe Factory , a bloke called Henry Beevers off Victoria road used to drive for then and was often giving my family tripe , hate the stuff.

Remember having a few snogs down Soaphouse Lane , the glue factory , Wattens scrap yard and the Tripe Factory , a bloke called Henry Beevers off Victoria road used to drive for then and was often giving my family tripe , hate the stuff.

I must have got tis wrong I thought it was Wathems.

• 1 year later...
Hi diddy your reply was interesting from my original post I have found out quite a lot of ifo regarding Soaphouse Lane, but the one thing I would like to know is the name of the Artic that used to be parked there as a paper boy I used to go past it every day and allways admired the sign writing on the cab an it was allways clean.

Can you help

Thanks

Only just joined the forum so my reply is a bit out of date by a few years. The truck that parked on Soaphouse Lane at the top of Furnace Lane did in fact have the name Rio Rita sign written on it. It parked there for a good few years just before the offices of British Glues and Chemicals which later became Croda. Hope this helps.

We used to play down Soaphouse Lane and Junction Rd in the 70s. We’d play in the old trains parked up in the sidings. Like Mel we played golf on the sekko and went in the nearby tunnel. Got invited into the signal box and got to pull the levers. We’d get hazelnuts from the trees and shoot cans. We daren’t get too near to the scrapyard cos of the dog, although we wanted to visit as I recall they had a rather attractive daughter. The viaduct gave me the creeps though; it’s a long drop to that murky water.

As older teenagers we often walked to Beighton by going down Junction Rd and along the side of the railway line, but you had to fight through the nettles. When I worked at the Cross Daggers the owners built a house down Junction Rd. My memory is that it was always sunny down there with no one about. A bit of a special place.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

whats your name Im Jennie Wendy and Johns Daughter from the cross daggers, mum and dad still live in the house and tho I moved out last year I still love it down there and it will always be home, it is a special place with lots of happy memorys.

x

Hi

whats your name Im Jennie Wendy and Johns Daughter from the cross daggers, mum and dad still live in the house and tho I moved out last year I still love it down there and it will always be home, it is a special place with lots of happy memorys.

x

I've said too many daft things on here to tell people my name. I used to work on the Cross Daggers bar in the days of Mr Crossley and then occasionally after your parents took it, on very busy nights like New Years. It was also my job to turn the Richard Clayderman tape over every 45mins, all night, every night, week after week.

Archived