Powell Street 1950's

YAMDAVE

hi yamdave , I think the guy you mean was graham , lived on edward st flats

if you pm me your name I bet I know you, the other kids I knocked around with were steven thorpe, paul cleaver , george baldwin , the grubbs and the woodwards

George Baldwin is my uncle! I stil see Jackie (grubb) as she is my auntie lindas (georges sister) best mate. I know my grandma and grandad remember the grubbs and woodwards really well.

Lisa.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived on Mushroom Lane opposite the 100 steps until I was 15 (1965.)

We called the shop on Powell Street the 'middle shop' and I remember the Barnes. We had a corner shop just below us on the corner of Powell Street that over the years had its window smashed from cars rolling down the street into it. There was a butchers just below, a shop across from us on the corner of what we called the 'canada' and also a shop above on the corner of Summer Street. I was in a class with Susan Woodcock. We were the Ginnevers, neighbours were Billards, Hully's and Humphries.

hi, I used to knock around with malcom billard still see him occasionally, the shop I rember at the top of the canada was collombines I think and joe beers fruit shop at the bottom of mushroom lane

I know Malcolm, too! His son's a member on here.

I was born on Powell Street in 1950, but left as part of the area regeneration in '55/'56. In spite of the years, I can remember the general shop in the middle( we lived across the entry but in the same yard), they had the biggest bulldog called Benny, and a nursing sister called Miller lived next door. I remember long sunny days playing with Derek Digman, and a ginger haired lad called Nicholas who's second name escapes me for the moment. There was a family called Hinchcliffe in our yard, had two brothers. Anyone remember anything about the street which may jog my memory? There was pub at the end on Western St. nicknamed Minsky's and my mother used to tell me tales about fetching my grandad 'gills' of ale in a jug. My grandad's family lived on Summer street, they were called Brookes, four brothers and a daughter Lily, my mother.
hiya yamdave and welcome to the forum, as a child i lived on summer street,mid 1950's the nurse you mention saved my life by coming to our house to have a look at me when i was ill with double pneumonia,i dont remember to much as i was only five or six but the lady always sticks in my mind,the other memory is of miss slack,my first school teacher down the road at saint stephens school

Hi I spoke to a relative of mine who lived on Powell st and they remember the names mentioned they also lived across from the shop there names were Corbidge Mick Terry June and Margret and there were the Hewitts Avril and Raymond .As a young girl my mother worked for the Minskys inthe pub.

• 1 year later...

hiya my mum and dad lived on mitchel street when the thirteen story flats were opened in 1961, they moved there from bath street and what a difference it was ,they lived on the twelfth floor the view is fantastic. this thread brings back many memories like ;minskies (neaminsky?) old and new. and boomerang. the latter pub name just brought a tale back to me, one of our workmates john nell was his name was off work with a damaged finger he'd trapped it under a compression point at work another workmate and me decided to go to see him in the boomerang. we got in at 9-30pm as he'd told us he only had the last hour

he arrived at 9 -40 with his wife and ordered the drinks he a half beer and a

g & t for his missus, before 10-30 they had had five each. john told me later thats why we only have an hour every night i couldn't afford any earlier'

Edited by willybite