Powell Street 1950's

YAMDAVE

Hi Everdearest - my best friend was Pat Pasley who lived with her family on Powell st and I remember the Ginnivers. I think you lived quite close to the Pasleys. I still keep in touch with Pat, in fact I visited her earlier this year. She now lives in north Yorkshire. Her husband, Keith Pearson, who lived on Mushroom Lane died a few years back. I lived on Summer St.

• 3 months later...
I lived on Mushroom Lane opposite the 100 steps until I was 15 (1965.)

my aunt & uncle lived at 88 & b4 them my grandfather & some family lived at 82 & 84.

I think my cousin ray hodkin had that shop on the corner as a fruit & vegie shop, dunno when i left uk in 1967 & he had it then.

all my hodkin family came from that area i think.

• 4 months later...
I was born on Powell Street in 1950, but left as part of the area regeneration in '55/'56. In spite of the years, I can remember the general shop in the middle( we lived across the entry but in the same yard), they had the biggest bulldog called Benny, and a nursing sister called Miller lived next door. I remember long sunny days playing with Derek Digman, and a ginger haired lad called Nicholas who's second name escapes me for the moment. There was a family called Hinchcliffe in our yard, had two brothers. Anyone remember anything about the street which may jog my memory? There was pub at the end on Western St. nicknamed Minsky's and my mother used to tell me tales about fetching my grandad 'gills' of ale in a jug. My grandad's family lived on Summer street, they were called Brookes, four brothers and a daughter Lily, my mother.

I think the Nicholas you talked about was Nicholas Taylor and he was my Dad's cousin. He lived at number 16 and my great-grandparents lived at number 24. My other great-grandparents had the Weston Park pub until the mid-forties. My grandma worked both in the Weston Park and the Bathfield. My Dad lived on Bromley Street, but he also lived on Powell Street for a while when he went to the Grammar School.

Hi Yamdave - I remember a ginger haired friend called Taylor but he was Trevor (I think). I also lived on Summer St until the 50's when they moved us all out. I lived at 30 and I remember the Brookes and the pub. I seem to recollect a Lily Brookes. What number did the live at?

Hi Yamdave - I remember a ginger haired friend called Taylor but he was Trevor (I think). I also lived on Summer St until the 50's when they moved us all out. I lived at 30 and I remember the Brookes and the pub. I seem to recollect a Lily Brookes. What number did the live at?

Trevor was Nicholas' brother, and a bit older. My Dad and Trevor played a lot together when they were younger. My Dad's name was Robert.

My Gram Hewitt lived opposite the pub at the end of Powell St, which I think must have been the Bathfield. Avril and Raymond Hewitt are my cousins and both emigrated to Australia after their marriages in the early sixties. My dad was George Hewitt. I used to play with Janet Digman when visiting my Gram's and I went on the pub trips to the seaside a couple of times. How I hated having to sit in the "children's" coach! I think Janet kept me company on thos occasions too. My Uncle Alan & Aunty Mary Hewitt also lived in a yard on Powell St until they moved to Gleadless.

• 1 year later...
Hi Everdearest - my best friend was Pat Pasley who lived with her family on Powell st and I remember the Ginnivers. I think you lived quite close to the Pasleys. I still keep in touch with Pat, in fact I visited her earlier this year. She now lives in north Yorkshire. Her husband, Keith Pearson, who lived on Mushroom Lane died a few years back. I lived on Summer St.

Hi Choirgirl, it's obviously a very long time since I was on this site as I never picked up this message, so sorry. The Pashley's were friends of ours - Mrs P a friend of my moms and Pat a friend of my sister Rita's. We have photos of her! I think she would have been my sisters age - 71 now, would that be right? We lived straight across from 100 steps and they lived just round the corner on Powell St in the first big yard.

• 1 year later...
hi yamdave , I think the guy you mean was graham , lived on edward st flats

if you pm me your name I bet I know you, the other kids I knocked around with were steven thorpe, paul cleaver , george baldwin , the grubbs and the woodwards

hi wat is your name my name is paul grubb I lived at 105 Weston street and the woodwards lived next door at 107

---------- Post added 17-09-2013 at 12:54 ----------

hi yamdave , I think the guy you mean was graham , lived on edward st flats

if you pm me your name I bet I know you, the other kids I knocked around with were steven thorpe, paul cleaver , george baldwin , the grubbs and the woodwards

ey up mate wats your real name I am paul grubb lol