Powell Street 1950's

YAMDAVE

Powell street was full of characters in the 50's including Leslie Baker, who was one of my pals along with Nicholas Taylor, Graham Thackeray, Brian Barnes (who lived at the the Big Shop) and many others. I remember playing 100 a side football on the tip and sledging down Weston street in the snow. I grew up there with my Mum and Dad, brothers and sisters, Stanley, Barrie, Audrey and Janet we lived at number 26, next to the Jubbs and the Taylors, just across the road from the Big Shop. I also remember Mrs Hewitt she was a lovely Gran and a friend to everyone she would sit on her step and laugh and talk to all passers by. I had a Happy childhood there!!!!

hiya my mum and dad lived on mitchel street when the thirteen story flats were opened in 1961, they moved there from bath street and what a difference it was ,they lived on the twelfth floor the view is fantastic. this thread brings back many memories like ;minskies (neaminsky?) old and new. and boomerang. the latter pub name just brought a tale back to me, one of our workmates john nell was his name was off work with a damaged finger he'd trapped it under a compression point at work another workmate and me decided to go to see him in the boomerang. we got in at 9-30pm as he'd told us he only had the last hour

he arrived at 9 -40 with his wife and ordered the drinks he a half beer and a

g & t for his missus, before 10-30 they had had five each. john told me later thats why we only have an hour every night i couldn't afford any earlier'

Its and old post Ive only just seen it, but Joyce, John's,wife is my maternal aunt.

I remember as a child playing on the 'cheeses'.

Happy days.

I like this hillsbro, I remember most of the names on the directory from my childhood, everybody knew everybody on the street and surrounding streets back then. After all there were loads of kids living locally and going to the same school locally, my school was St Stephens C of E on Fawcett street both infants and juniors.

The Kelly's Directory shows a snapshot of the street, however I remember 8 houses in each of the court yards with a great big wall between each yard (backyard) and 4 outside toilets between the 8 houses. We use to play tennis and football off the walls and occasionally cricket with chalked stumps, that was until we broke a window then running away and hiding from the inevitable telling off. Fond memories!

My Aunts shop was on Weston St opposite the end of Summer St,I remember Fullbrooks shop on the corner Opposite the Weston Park Hotel,Pat Susan ,Stephen and Ricky Thorpe are my cousins.Magrails is a name i remember from Summer St and there was a man who cut my hair who was killed in the tragic wedding day car crash on Fence hill in the 50s. My Aunt Winnie Thorpe died aged 95 a few months ago and Uncle Harry is alive at 96 and live at Upperthorpe.Harrys brother was Jim Thorpe the biggest bookmaker in Sheffield at one time.

Edited by bullerboY

I remember the barber on Weston street, I think he was Polish. My dad took me there to have my haircut, which was usually a crew cut(skin head). My Grandad and Grandma Brown lived on Summer Street with my Aunty June who looked after them in the 1950's.

I remember the 100 steps in Mushroom Lane but my memory fails to recollect the exact place where they were situated can someone jog my memory?

The Fairhursts and the Johnsons come to mind from Mushroom Lane and of course Beers fruit and veg shop on the corner with Fawcett Street.

I was married at the St Stephens church and remember the Co-op being across the road.

We used to hold competitions to see who could reach the top of the100 steps the quickest without stopping. Just thinking about it makes me feel exhausted now.

Do you remember the tunnel at the top of Bromley street it ran under Crookes valley road to Crookes valley park. We used to think that it was a Polar bear cave when we were kids.