Did anyone here go to High Storrs school?

I went to High Storrs and then quit at the end of year 7(1999). I had Mr.Lockwood for geography (everyone thought he was fit for some reason), Mrs.Sood for science (which I hated, although I'm gonna be a chemist now;)), and Mr.Shepherd for maths.

I don't remember the rest, although there was this really annoying kid who I would still love to beat up...

Left in '76.

The only decent time I had was in the final year.

Backslaps and Black Jack*, you gotta be kidding.

Happy to leave, but still missed it.

*piece of black rubber pipe the basketball loving PE teacher used to enjoy using.

We also had a Music teacher who'd encourage your poor music skills by threatening you with a wooden table/chair leg!

Had very erotic maths teacher, forever had hands down front of her trousers, I struggled to concentrate in the subject. oh how I missed her when she left.

I left in 1956. Some of my friends were Ian (Buster) Hird, Les Osborne and "Spook" Bradshaw.Teachers that I can remember were George Mack (headmaster) no-one could forget him, he scared the crap out of us all. Mr (Polly) Parrot (chemistry, I think), Mr (Fish) Herring, Mr (Chad) Tattersall. Mr Billingsley (English) Mr (Joe) Collier (German). Can't seem to remember too many more. Someone mentioned a Mr. Presgrave earlier, could this be the "Sep" Presgrave that was there at the same time that I was ?

I remember the "roughs" pretty well and there was a quarry near the school where we often went to eat our lunch. One of the guys had an old wind up record player and I can still hear "Muskrat Ramble", "St Louis Blues" "When The Saints Go Marching In" and others being played whilst eating my boiled egg sandwiches.

Luxury !! :thumbsup:

Chuffinel - I list the names of staff some ten years or so, after your era, some of whom you will recognise and others who may be familiar to more contemporary pupils. Sadly, many on the list are no longer with us but others are enjoying well-deserved retirement!

Tattersall? I think you may mean Jack Tattersfield who was head of Maths?

'Sep' Presgrave was a member of the Maths department. 'Polly' was Mr.Stamford. 'Kipper' Herring, Griff - Arthur Griffin, Gerald Hartley who was replaced by the earlier mentioned - Robin Towle. 'Killer' Johnston.

Then Messrs; Nicholls, Birchall, Hayes, Sale, Walker, Wood, Wright, Thornton, Gorton, Allen, Marrison, Sellars, Hanson, Ridler, Hoffman, Taylor, Mann, Colin Smith, Newsome, Tickner, Ellis, Lewis, Tutt, Beaumont et al. Three former pupils, Ollie Smith, Alan Stephenson and Peter Hackett returned to the school to teach.

I remember them all, Mr Haze was a legend!! He used to drink in the Punchbowl at Crookes, and spent his entire summer holidays in the West Indies watching cricket!

I would also point out that there are some wild inaccuracies on this thread.

Mr.Hayes may well be legendary but I can assure you he has never been to the West Indies in his life! A) He has a great fear of flying and B) Cricket isn't played in the Caribbean in July and August because it is their rainy season. My sides were aching with laughter but I can assure you, your claim couldn't be further from the truth!

A quick piece from my school report from 1991- my parents never got to see this one!!

"He is the most lazy and incompetent pupil I have ever had the misfortune to teach in over 20 years of teaching. His classwork is a disgrace and he may NOT wish to choose physics GCSE this year." - Mr. Hayes

"A promising start this year, sadly as expected he could not be bothered to continue this standard." - Mr Tomlinson

"A most apathetic pupil." - Mr Cartwright

Still, it gave my mates a laugh every time I let them read it!! Darn Nirvana and the grunge era!!!! I blame my music tastes at the time.

Yes was at Highstorrs (Boys)Sixth Form for two years 1955-1957 then called up for National Service. Remember George Mack (Head) Mr Bailey (Latin) Nr Nicholls(Greek) Mr Sargeant (Music) Mr Billington & Mr Johnson History Mr Lewis (Maths) Mr Griffin (French) Form Teacher was Mr Hoffman