Did anyone here go to High Storrs school?

I went to High Storrs, was in Hoffman, which became Smith in my first year. I left in 1982.

I remember Ms Cary from my first year as well, and Mr Herring, but then I remember Mr Stephenson taking over Herring. If memory serves me right Cary became Wagner, or was it Catcliff that changed. Oh the memory is starting to go....... :-(

When Mrs Cary retired, Alison Warner became in charge of Warner House which later merged with Stephenson after Alan Stephenson

had likewise replaced George Herring on his retirement.

Barbara Cattliff (who is sadly no longer with us) saw Cattliff House merge with Smith - Ollie Smith had replaced Sid Hoffman on his retirement. There were then two houses of Smith and Stephenson. What the set-up is now, I am not sure as both Ollie and Alan have retired?

Snifferdog, would I know such detail had I not been part of the inner sanctum?

Yes, SnifferDog, you are correct, Colin Smith died within two years of his retirement. He was also a fond colleague and was the union rep at one time for the NAS/UWT. Colin was a keen Gilbert and Sullivan enthusiast and played a prominent part in the school productions as well as his local society at Meersbrook.

Usually to be found at the lunchtime bridge table. I don't remember Colin having any enemies and I for one, had the same hymn sheet!

What sad news, chairboy.

As teachers went, there weren't many of the teachers there I didn't have time for. In fact there was only really one, (nameless one!) whom I didn't think much of, so it's sad to hear that Mr Smith didn't get to enjoy much of a retirement.

Hmmm Chairboy, you have me quite intrigued now. Did I cheek you ? Was I a model pupil for you ? Oh dear, it could go either way :-)

Give me a clue, or reveal all ?

I remember going back to High Storrs many years after I had left to make a delivery and Mr Stephenson remembered me .......... to this day I can't work out if that is a good or bad thing

I was at High Storrs 54/61. Way before it stopped being a grammar school.Like all teachers bk then he wore a black teaching gown. Colin Smith was my Latin teacher. He was a real character. He used to staff a small hole in the wall room at morning break. In those days once you'd finished a writing book, you had to take it to Colin. There was a line up outside that room. In turn he'd take each book that the student presented for replacement and with a flourish rip off half the front page so it couldn't be re-presented again. The student would walk away with a new book plus a defaced old one. Great guy.

I was at High Storrs 54/61. Way before it stopped being a grammar school.Like all teachers bk then he wore a black teaching gown. Colin Smith was my Latin teacher. He was a real character. He used to staff a small hole in the wall room at morning break. In those days once you'd finished a writing book, you had to take it to Colin. There was a line up outside that room. In turn he'd take each book that the student presented for replacement and with a flourish rip off half the front page so it couldn't be re-presented again. The student would walk away with a new book plus a defaced old one. Great guy.

Hi rogG; nice memory! "Flourish" was a good word to associate with Colin. A member of staff would ask him to announce something across the staffroom and he had a style in how he swept to his feet and put over the message with his 'operatic voice' and genial manner.

Reverting to the 'bridge table', one of the quartet, "Tick" also died soon after taking the long awaited and cherished retirement which is a great shame in that they looked forward to those days but didn't savour many - prompting the moral, 'don't wish you life away'.

Pleased to say that I believe the other two members of the lunchtime 'card table', K.B.Sale and Alan Wright are both hale and hearty.

Hi rogG; nice memory! "Flourish" was a good word to associate with Colin. A member of staff would ask him to announce something across the staffroom and he had a style in how he swept to his feet and put over the message with his 'operatic voice' and genial manner.

Reverting to the 'bridge table', one of the quartet, "Tick" also died soon after taking the long awaited and cherished retirement which is a great shame in that they looked forward to those days but didn't savour many - prompting the moral, 'don't wish you life away'.

Pleased to say that I believe the other two members of the lunchtime 'card table', K.B.Sale and Alan Wright are both hale and hearty.

Glad to hear Ken Sale is going strong, he was my form tutor, as well as my Biology tutor during my last two years there.

Chairboy, is there any fresh news on Miss Cary, please, after the awful news a few months ago, that she'd suffered a nasty fall?