Did anyone here go to High Storrs school?

my daughter is there currently, the work has only just started and probably won't be finished until 2009.

I dont think judging by the state of the place at the mo its been decorated since I went in the 70's!!

I visited my old school abt 3 yrs ago. Gave a talk to a 6th form science class. In what used to be the girls' school, which was the first time I'd been in that part of the building. We were forbidden from crossing the dividing line. What I noticed was that it looked like it hadn't seen a coat of paint, let alone a trowel full of plaster since I went there in the 50/60s. I was told it was slated for a major renovation. Has this not yet been done?

I visited my old school abt 3 yrs ago. Gave a talk to a 6th form science class. In what used to be the girls' school, which was the first time I'd been in that part of the building. We were forbidden from crossing the dividing line. What I noticed was that it looked like it hadn't seen a coat of paint, let alone a trowel full of plaster since I went there in the 50/60s. I was told it was slated for a major renovation. Has this not yet been done?

Its on going at the moment but we have been told it will not be finished until about 2009 but I have to say not much seems to be happening yet. They are trying to do it mostly during the school hols I think with very little disruption to the children.

• 3 weeks later...

A former pupil of the school in the early 80's has passed away on February 23 after a long illness, Woodrow Bailey. "Woody" as he was known to his friends had a run-in with the heads over his rights to wear Rastafarian headgear, along with his younger brother Jeffrey.

Woodrow's funeral is on Thursday March 13 at Cemetery Road Baptist Church at 1.30pm for those who wish to pay their respects.

• 2 weeks later...

I left in 1990 I think. So sorry to hear of Mr Smith death. I owed him alot, along with other like Mr Hayes, Mr Mick Cartwright, basketball brady and the re teacher the disabled one ? I use to see her alot as she lived near my friends house..... what was her name. I did act the clown from time to time. But its strange that you remember what they said in later life. All makes sense now...shame it didnt at the time.

I left in 1990 I think. So sorry to hear of Mr Smith death. I owed him alot, along with other like Mr Hayes, Mr Mick Cartwright, basketball brady and the re teacher the disabled one ? I use to see her alot as she lived near my friends house..... what was her name. I did act the clown from time to time. But its strange that you remember what they said in later life. All makes sense now...shame it didnt at the time.

Pauline Eyre is the name of the charming lady whose name escapes you.

Its on going at the moment but we have been told it will not be finished until about 2009 but I have to say not much seems to be happening yet. They are trying to do it mostly during the school hols I think with very little disruption to the children.

I've heard that things aren't going to plan and that the lawyers are coming out of this best - with much deliberation between parties over planning permission. Demolition of some areas is to start in the summer but new building will not begin until Christmas. The renovation is to be done one-quarter at a time so the school can still function and it is expected to take three years to completion.

I've heard that things aren't going to plan and that the lawyers are coming out of this best - with much deliberation between parties over planning permission. Demolition of some areas is to start in the summer but new building will not begin until Christmas. The renovation is to be done one-quarter at a time so the school can still function and it is expected to take three years to completion.

We were informed of this a couple of weeks ago, not sure if I like the idea of the school being open at the same time as the building works are going on. Although we have been assured it will not affect the kids I am not 100% sure, I think it must affect them in some ways.

I have to say the plan we were shown of what it will look like looks fantastic pity that most of the kids having the disruption will not be the ones benefitting from it:mad:

Have just read this whole thread with much joy and tears. Miss Eyre!!! My wonderful RK teacher. Mrs Ruth Ringrose who was my rock for most of my years at high storrs. My god, where did all the years go. Sep, my maths teacher, tiddles Birchall, Colin Smith!!! I was there from 1968 until 1975. You have mentioned so many people here.

I shed a tear at the death of 'smalley'. He was younger than me, and when my friend Kim and I were prefects in the upper 6th he used to run in front of us and open the doors. I used to let him go to the front of the tuck shop queue when I was on tuck shop duty.

I can't believe its all those years ago. An earlier post mentioned jolande sawisca. Yanina Sawisca was in my year, indeed, my house, catcliffe, and I went out with their brother, Jan, briefly. Finding this thread has made my day!!!!

You recall the tuck shop "vix", do you remember Rose who used to do the teas both in the V1 form common room and also the staff room?

Another name is that of Miss Dickson who was part of the school administration/welfare team. I'm told Miss Dickson, who may be 90, was looking in great form at a school function last week, for former staff.

You mention the house, which was named after the late Barbara Cattliff, who was a member of the Geography department which was led by Harold Taylor who is not only rejoicing at Barnsley's FA Cup run, but having pulled his way back from a serious illness.

Unfortunately, there were apologies of absence and some related to former staff who are now suffering from various illnesses.

At Easter, I'd like to offer my thoughts and prayers to those former colleagues who are currently undergoing medical care and treatment.