Did anyone here go to High Storrs school?

Chuffinel - I list the names of staff some ten years or so, after your era, some of whom you will recognise and others who may be familiar to more contemporary pupils. Sadly, many on the list are no longer with us but others are enjoying well-deserved retirement!

Tattersall? I think you may mean Jack Tattersfield who was head of Maths?

'Sep' Presgrave was a member of the Maths department. 'Polly' was Mr.Stamford. 'Kipper' Herring, Griff - Arthur Griffin, Gerald Hartley who was replaced by the earlier mentioned - Robin Towle. 'Killer' Johnston.

Then Messrs; Nicholls, Birchall, Hayes, Sale, Walker, Wood, Wright, Thornton, Gorton, Allen, Marrison, Sellars, Hanson, Ridler, Hoffman, Taylor, Mann, Colin Smith, Newsome, Tickner, Ellis, Lewis, Tutt, Beaumont et al. Three former pupils, Ollie Smith, Alan Stephenson and Peter Hackett returned to the school to teach.

Some more to add; (I left in '59) "Pharoah" Smith (Physics) Mr Griffin, deputy head, who was just as scary as Mr Mack (if not more so), Tom Haller (Biology), Mr Thurlbeck (biology), Mr Cutler (German), "Buller" Smith (RE), "Snoop" (Geography), "Monty" Beaumont (PT), Fred Allen (Metalwork), In the history lesson, I sat in a desk next to the wall, and always got the order "get your back off that wall, lad" (from Mr Johnson)

There was a really old guy brought out of retirement to fill the shortage of maths teachers. His name was Mr Gagen and he shuffled around in carpet slippers. There was also a "Miss Marple" type old lady who used to teach in the girls school, and also brought out of retirement (shortage of English teachers) She always used to pick on me to carry her bag much to the amusement of my mates.

• 5 months later...