Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

Not really pertinent to the occupancy/ownership of Longley Hall :confused:

The crux of the matter is who owned the property and when. The name 'Holden' does not appear as an occupant but the various occupants could have just been tenants.

You gain a good understanding of Sheffield life around the time Jabberwocky is interested in from some of those articles, added to which Jabberwocky is looking for info on his mother and often women are only spoken of as the daughter of so-and-so. I have sometimes found that if I research other families who are connected, you sometimes find what you are looking for. It is a long and painstaking job but it does wonders for your knowledge of local families and gets more interesting the more research you do.

• 2 weeks later...
The Old People's Home is on Longley Hall Road. The building Jabberwocky is interested in is on Longley Lane and is called Longley Hall. Can you tell us about the history of Longley Hall please?

'Greybeard' looks to have covered it. The book (if i remember correctly) is A4 with a light green cover and its all in there.

Here is a map of the area round Longley Hall.

Herries Road or the lack of it is interesting.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/grahamkirkby/HerriesRoad.jpg

What do you think? It looks as though the road went through the Barnsley Road entrance and cut straight across the grounds of the NGH?

How can you tell on such an old, small scale map?

How can you tell on such an old, small scale map?

If you want to know the layout of the old road system you need a map from that period. As for scale, well the map is large enough to show individual buildings. You don't get much better than that.

• 1 year later...
I managed to find a little more of the history of Longley Hall from an article by Betty Dickinson in a booklet published by the The Southey and Longley Local History Group.

The house is 'supposed' to have been built between 1770 and 1790 and first occupied by Kenyon Parker, described as an attorney with offices at the Bullstake in Sheffield. He was married in 1758 to a daughter of the Shirecliffes of Whitley Hall in Ecclesfield.

Kenyon Parker died in 1800 and his son Adamson continued to live at Longley Hall until he too died in 1837. The contents of the house and farm buildings were sold at public auction in 1838, (possibly by another son of Kenyon Parker, Francis, a clergyman who died in 1840 according to R E Leader).

The 1841 census shows the house occupied by George Curr, but in 1851 he had been succeeded by one John Brooke 'draper and hosier with business premises in the centre of Sheffield', whose family continued in residence until about 1868.

Betty Dickinson writes "Longley Hall was to change ownership several times after 1871. Then Robert Binder took up residence and appears to have remained there until at least 1905" - which suggests she saw evidence of who the occupants were in the 1881 and 1891 census but for some reason didn't include these details in her article.

The occupants in 1907 were Frank Crawshaw (cow-man) and James Morris when the house and land were purchased by the Sheffield Board of Guardians 1907.

There are still lots of questions of course. Who were the occupants between the Brooke and Binder families - a gap of thirty-seven years ? And who did the Sheffield Board of Guardians purchase the propety from ? The question of ownership is not dealt with in this article and it is quite possible that some of the occupants were tenants or lessees rather than outright owners.

My ancestor, Joseph Ashforth lived at Longley Hall, as shown on the 1881 census, He was a steel merchant, employed 93 people in the Bruce steelworks on Mowbray st. Also farmed 57 acres at the same time, with a further 7 farm hands employed.

1891 shows him living at the Rookery, so i can only fill a small gap for this Halls history.:)

Archived