Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

From what i can make out there were three places called Longley -----.

Longley House, which stood about where Crowder Avenue, Crowder road and Herries avenue meet.

Longley Farm which stood between Piper close and Longley cresent fronting on Crowder road.

These two were demolished when the council houses along Crowder road were built.

Lonlgey Hall became Longley Hall farm and some of it at least is still standing, - on Longley lane opposite the end of Crowder road. I remember reading that at one time this farm was either owned or managed by the Northern General Hospital as a dairy farm.

Jabbers - if you PM me your email addy I can let you have the map that Grahame put up in a much larger format.

edit: - apologies it was algy who put the map up !

I can remember the dairy farm you mention that was owned by the hospital.I can remember seeing it clearly from the road outside.That was before the houses were built on the land.

There's also an A4 book on the history of Longley that was put together by a local group. It's still around in the libraries. There's an interview with Mr Rigby who was the last farmer at longley Hall Farm. I remember being at the redcaps with his son. As Pattricia said it was owned by the hospital. According to Mr Rigby there used to be a private road from the farm to the hospital for delivering the produce. What price hospital food now?

Just got an email from my brother.

here it is:

Also, great grandad owned most of what became Firth Vickers, grandad went to Cleethorpes to sail the whalers, when great grandad wouldn't give him a job. This is where I under stand, mam was born. The records of Vickers were lost in the war, so we can't find any documents.

Grandad was an engineer by trade.

I assume hes read this thread, he visits the forum as a guest often.

I can remember the dairy farm you mention that was owned by the hospital.I can remember seeing it clearly from the road outside.That was before the houses were built on the land.

There were still cows an the fields there when we moved to the area in the mid 70s but not sure if the NGH had anything to do with the farm then. I also remember a gate at the very top of the hospital grounds that gave access to a little lane that led past some old cottages (I think converted from the farm buildings) and out onto Longley lane.

Latest information From my brother.

I seem to remember that great grandad was one of the first train drivers, (or possibly, great great grandad), in those days, only gentlemen were allowed to drive. I do know that great grandad owned all of what is now Winkobank + 3 farms in Retford, these all went to grandads brothers. The hall was standing in the '40s, because I vaguely remember mam pointing it out and saying, 'If it wasn't for fate, that would belong to her'.

Ok I asked my brother about the Duke, i asked how much he knew about it and the reply was :

Just a faint recollection, but nowt else, nothing further at all. It's just that it rings a bell. Aunt Dot had a photo of grandad dressed as a genleman in riding gear, but she died last year, I suppose uncle Frank still has it, he lives on Cross Addy street.

It was such a long time ago and we`re such an old family with all of the older ones dead who held the history in their heads that its all ancient history and hearsay now.

Aparrantly one of the reasons that so much information was lost was the level of education in those days:

Even the women couldn't write, there's someone in the past called 'Biggerdyke, or Bickerdyke, or summat like that, she signs the wedding papers with a cross.

Archived