Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

A snippet from the Sheffield Local Register (a digest of local news stories):

13 Feb 1906

Sheffield Guardians decide to purchase the Longley Hall Farm and 55 acres of land adjacent to the Fir Vale Workhouse at a cost of £10,500.

also, are any of these familiar?...

1891 census

ref: piece 3831 enumeration district 30 folio 143

Longley Hall

(Brightside Bierlow)

Robert BINDER Head Marr 55 farmer NTH Stanior

Lydia BINDER Wife Marr 50 YKS Sheffield

Margaret A BINDER Dau Unm 20 YKS Sheffield

Harold HILL Serv 16 farm servant DBY NK

George A CARTER Serv 15 farm servant YKS Sheffield

(place names are birthplaces. NTH=Northamptonshire, NK=not known)

Hugh

Jabbers, - it sounds like your family history would be a very interesting project :D

BTW did you get my email ?

Yes i got the email and its was a fascinating map! didnt you get my reply?

Im learning more all the time about my history and im kicking myself hard for not paying more attention when i was a kid.

Fortunately i have my brother who knows tons on the subject and hes reading this thread and supplying information via emails AND i have the forum! Im learning lots!

Ten Grand? God that wouldnt buy a decent garden shed these days!

I just found this site for working out how much a sum of money was worth in the past. It seems that £10,500 in 1906 was the equivalent of £752,098.36 today :D (or possibly :rant: because you ain't got it :hihi: )

Hugh

Ok another snippet of information.

aparrantly my dads family were all rebels. Im not at all sure what that means so I asked if it was anything to do with Northern Ireland and my bro said that it predates all that.

Hes had to go out but he said he`d add more info later.... this is getting more interesting by the minute.

There is the Longley Hall Farm estate which I presume belonged to the Lord of the Manor. It is now a large housing estate, and if Longley Park belonged to the Hall then he would have possessed all the land between the Hall on Elm Lane stretching down to your brothers shop which is just off Herries Road. The Hall on Elm Lane would have been the highest point and as he stood on that nice lawn and looked south he would have been Lord of all he surveyed. What is your surname Jabbers?

sorry Grahame I didnt see the last part of this post, my surname is Jackson.

I assume that Jackson was the maiden name of the chambermaid.

Im not entirely sure yet though.

Archived