Anyone know about Longley Hall...?

According to the caption to this photo..

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=y02135

the shops were used as follows in 1950 -

Nos. 286, J. Pearson, confectioner; 288, Fredrick Mason, grocer & Norwood Sub-Post Office & 290, Keneth Asher Ltd., butcher. These are the Piper Houses on the map.

I assume Piper cottages were demolished when Piper lane was widened into Herries road.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18726

There's also a charming picture of Piper lane as it was in 1910.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s18725

And Longley Farm housing estate ? It's a few years now since I was in the area on foot.

From the bridge there was a pleasant walk alongside the dyke and through the woods all the way down to the Barnsley road entrance of the NGH. I can remember cows grazing in plot 290 :)

Thats right Greybeard although from the day it was built I have always called it the "Longley Hall Farm Estate" and I don't think I'm on my own in that? People still walk their dogs by the dyke and a pleasant walk it is still, although the enlarged hospital buildings tend to come right up to dyke in places and they have put a high fence along part of it although you can still walk on the Barnsley Road side of the dyke.

To think I used to go jogging in the grounds of the hospital, but you couldn't do that now, and I remember when you could drive in at the Firvale entrance which has been sealed off for a long time.

Obviously some confusion about thr fire station. The only one in the area is on Elm Lane, but at the end of Crowder Rd just across the junction from where Longley Hall stood there is an ambulance station that looks similar to a fire station. Could this be what people are thinking of?

The Longley Hall that Jabbers is interested in was across the road from the ambulance station. I think the fire station was on the site of another old house and this is causing some confusion?

Thats right Greybeard although from the day it was built I have always called it the "Longley Hall Farm Estate" and I don't think I'm on my own in that? People still walk their dogs by the dyke and a pleasant walk it is still, although the enlarged hospital buildings tend to come right up to dyke in places and they have put a high fence along part of it although you can still walk on the Barnsley Road side of the dyke.

To think I used to go jogging in the grounds of the hospital, but you couldn't do that now, and I remember when you could drive in at the Firvale entrance which has been sealed off for a long time.

Yes, I can remember when you could drive through the entrance to Firvale Hospital.At one time I was a student nurse at Firvale & my elder sister was an SRN at the the City General Hospital (Now Northern General).As we only lived on Piper Close,it was very handy for us both.

Yes, I can remember when you could drive through the entrance to Firvale Hospital.At one time I was a student nurse at Firvale & my elder sister was an SRN at the the City General Hospital (Now Northern General).As we only lived on Piper Close,it was very handy for us both.

Now if you had been in the nurses home I might have bumped into you. Unfortunately not. I wonder if you knew Mr and Mrs Bull and their son. I think they may have lived on Piper Cres though.

Now if you had been in the nurses home I might have bumped into you. Unfortunately not. I wonder if you knew Mr and Mrs Bull and their son. I think they may have lived on Piper Cres though.

I can remember men scaling the walls of the City General at night to get to their girl friends in the Nurses Home.They also scaled the walls of Firvale but that was to get out,as it was a mental hospital. I can remember having a key to get on a special ward for "naughty girls".Mostly backward females whod had babies out of wedlock.Had to keep them escaping at all costs.! Nowadays if everybody was locked up with illigitimate children the wards would be full. The unusual ones today are the ones who are married.! The name Bull rings a bell Grahame.

I can remember men scaling the walls of the City General at night to get to their girl friends in the Nurses Home.They also scaled the walls of Firvale but that was to get out,as it was a mental hospital. I can remember having a key to get on a special ward for "naughty girls".Mostly backward females whod had babies out of wedlock.Had to keep them escaping at all costs.! Nowadays if everybody was locked up with illigitimate children the wards would be full. The unusual ones today are the ones who are married.! The name Bull rings a bell Grahame.

Yes it is going back thirty years or so, the son was very tall with jet black curly hair, anyway it dosen't matter. I was only in the nurses home to service the televisions unfortunately, although one day I knocked on a door and the the young lady who was half asleep must have thought I was her boyfriend because I thought all my birthdays had come at once. Unfortunately I had to decline her kind offer. She was beautiful.

I can remember men scaling the walls of the City General at night to get to their girl friends in the Nurses Home.

Was that the Nurses Home that used to be Goddard Hall. ? I think the house is still there. It was a private residence long before the NGH was originally built as a workhouse.

My wife was a nurse there from 1975.

Archived