Saffron Club Indian restaurant - it wasn't a good experience.

meggy

Thought I would let forrumer know of my bad experience Sat night at the saffron club (meant to be upmarket smart Indian restaurant).

On arriving straight away was put off by such bright lighting and volume of background music hardly hearable plus the staff seemed untrained and stiff!!

Still I convince my hubby to stay and eat, we just decided to go for mains as we were staying out all night for sesh! we ordered.. i went for a lamb rogan josh and other half went for "spiced fish" that was the only description and we were served by the owner (just to let you know) well we didint ask what fish it was and wasnt told what it was but from many experiences of spiced fish in Indians it has always been white fish of some sort.

Anyway we were nibbling away on our pickles n poppadoms which were lovely when finally after ages our mains arrived straight away i could see that the fish was salmon , which he absolutley hates with a passion but I still asked the waiter what fish it was and he said haddock, so i thought i must have been wrong, well he had one bite and of course it was salmon.

We asked the waiter over and told him that he didnt like salmon to this the waiter said would u like something else and apologised, to this we just decided to share my curry cause it is awful when that happens in a restaurant n i would have been left eating by myself.

The waiter brought a plate over so we could share that was that, a couple of minutes later the owner came over while we were eating and said"u wanted me!!" very abruptly!! to this we wetre like no but explained what had happened and I could n't beleive what happened next he started arguing with us he said "you didn't ask me what the fish was" so obviously we said "you didnt tell us surely thats your job" this then went back and forth a few times, then he was raising his voice saying "so whose gonna pay for my salmon then!" that was it we got up to leave as this was a right scene, next thing he grabs hold of my husband to stop him leaving my hyubby said don't touch me!! and threw £20 quid on the table to which i grabbed it back as they didnt deserve a bean, we finally got out as he was still being clever with us.

This is by far the most rude and disgusting behaviour I have ever encountered in a restaurant, and we eat out all the time.

What do you guys think about this ?

We knew we should have asked what fish it was but also as a matter of good service we should have been told as it clearly must change on a regular basis but we were going to pay until he started being so rude and causing a scene, he should have waited until we had had our meal to see what we were going to do!!

What do you guys think about this and please spread the word.

We can tell you what we think but its not fair to the restaurant to 'spread the (your) word' unless we witnessed what happened - after all you might be competitors indulging in a little corporate sabotague

We can tell you what we think but its not fair to the restaurant to 'spread the (your) word' unless we witnessed what happened - after all you might be competitors indulging in a little corporate sabotague

I take spreading the word back,,but it was just a huge shock to have a psyco nutter in your face at a restaurant that is meant to be classy by the way I am just a mere florist!!

I have been to Saffron Club on a mid week night and found the atmosphere very quiet and relaxed. There were 6 of us and 5 got our dishes at the same time and very nice they were too. However one persons dish did not appear so after a few minutes we asked whether it was on the way. We were assured it was very hesitantly (they'd blatantly forgotten and were trying to cover!). Then the dish came out after another 5 minutes or so and was lamb instead of chicken. The person who ordered it ate it anyway as she didn't want to send it back and have to wait again, but they did knock us some money off the bill at the end.

I was quite impressed with it though and thought our experience might have been teething problems as it hadn't been open all that long.

I will go back and try them again though although i can see how awful your experience must have been meggy :mad:

We went on Saturday and the experience was okay.

The carpet was a 'loud' and clashed with the mood; it was a little bright and it really did need some music.

The starters were pleasant, with some usual options, which were all enjoyed, but over priced for the size of the portions.

The main courses were all delicious, with a good range of choices. A few had the tandoori meat dishes or spiced lamb and found the meat good quality, tasy and nicely spiced. I had King Prawn and at £9.50 it was definitely over priced. The sauce was delicious but the prawns were the frozen king prawns with no taste. I will stick to the veggie dishes.

The Saffron rice was very good as were the side dishes and the chicken and lamb curries were said to be very tasty.

It needs a little work to get it right. The staff do need to be more friendly, especially whilst waiting in reception; not sure if they have really been trained in customer service. A little bit of style over substance in this area.

All in all, it was a good meal, more expensive than a local curry, but some different and tasty meals.

Also, one toilet door is not working already. Not good.

Archived